Rerun missing halyards

Aug 27, 2015
Cal 2-46 Whitianga. New Zealand
Pretty sure if you have a rigger at the marina they will have a stainless steel rod that they use to re-run wires and halyards. We did ours while the mast was horizontal. The stiffness of the rod makes it very easy.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Peter. - A 50 foot plus (16 meters for your guys down under) steel rod. That is a specialty tool.

May 31, 2016
Irwin 28 mkIV Norrie point Hudson River
Use shop vac on one end and very loose pile of kite string on other end. Use kite string to pull a light masons line then your halyard

Aug 27, 2015
Cal 2-46 Whitianga. New Zealand
That is what they have. I guess it is old solid S/S rigging. Which of course comes in whatever length you want.

Apr 23, 2009
Catalina 27 Nanaimo
The process is as jssailem laid out so well much earlier, but here's an alternate messenger running technique:

To run the messenger line, use medium weight string with an electricians mouse or kleenex flower (or balled up wad of kleenex) tied to the end. Feed it from the top of the mast, blowing the line down the mast with compressed air from a small portable air compressor. This usually works better than the shop vac at the bottom of the mast idea, which has also been mentioned earlier in this thread, because of greater air flow from the compressed air. Of course compressed air could also be used in conjunction with a shop vac at the bottom for even better performance.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Gunni has it right. :deadhorse:

Yeah, this issue has been resolved a lot of posts back.

To summarize:

The OP or his significant other made a rookie mistake and lost the halyards, i.e., they no longer run through the mast.

The boat is hauled and the mast is horizontal on the deck.

An experienced member of this site stores his boat at the same marina and has volunteered to assist in reinstalling the halyards. In the past 2 years he has replaced 3 halyards and rewired both his masthead light and the steaming/foredeck light on a larger boat.

The OP has his boat in a very friendly and supportive marina. There will be lots of competent help.

Trying to draw enough vacuum to suck a messenger lined down the mast is probably a fool's errand, the mast diameter is too large and there are too many holes in the mast to create sufficient suction to draw down a messenger line.

I'm sure the OP appreciates the rapid and plentiful responses. It is good to know that sailors want to assist each other, that's what it is all about, isn't it?

Dave

Apr 12, 2014
Catalina 36 mk2 LaSalle, MI
First haul out and my mrs removed the main and spinaker halyard as we were prepping the mast to be stepped.

Boat is on the hard with the mast on the deck already stepped.

Does anyone have any recomendations on how to get the halyards reran through the mast with the boat on the hard?

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
With the mast down, I have rented scaffolding for a weekend from a local rental shop for almost nothing and set it up my self. (if you have them transport it and set it up for you is costs more money). If that's not in the budget, being careful, a couple ladders have worked for me in the past too. Also, the marina may have something you can either borrow or rent...

Using a fiberglass fish-tape worked for me better than the metal fish-tape. It circled around the blocks easier and fed through the conduits inside the mast. I don't know if your mast has those conduits, but if so was just sayin what worked for me...

I also recommend you use this opportunity to consider replacing any wires and coax in the mast. Would also consider upgrading the lights to LED. (They generally run MANY times longer than conventional lights and use less battery at night.) You may also want to consider replacing the light fixtures. Sometimes the corrosion and such of old fixtures that are getting on in years can cause problems down the road.

If the electrical wires and coax do not have conduits, recommend you use zip tie tails about every 10 feet to prevent wires from banging all night (mast slap). Just gently put on a good quality zip tie on the wire (not lines) as you feed it into the mast about every ten feet and dont cut the tails off. Note here, on coax, be careful and don't over-tighten the zip tie on coax because it will damage it and cause signal loss.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I used the line with a chain at end and from the top of the mast worked real good,
rather than demasting try asking a rigger to do it for you.
There are guys who go up the mast like a monkey and do this all the time and do it for a living if the yard does not have a lift system and wait to do it when in the water.
Nick