Reputation Points?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I guess I'm not very observant or maybe this is something new... but I just now noticed a double pan balance icon under my avatar.

I clicked it and it told me I had some "reputation points".

What is that? I looked it up on the Forum Documentation page and it described it but it also said you can see your reputation on the bottom of the control panel. I looked but could not find a link to such a thing.

Anybody know what this is? Is it new or has it always been there and I'm just a dolt?:redface:

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I have some also - don't know by whom why or when.

Makes me cool I bet :snooty:

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
Good question. If I click on yours I can enter in a comment and say Yay or Nay to helpful. I say Yay as it taught me something!

Jan 19, 2010
Good question. If I click on yours I can enter in a comment and say Yay or Nay to helpful. I say Yay as it taught me something!
Okay then...

I learned something too...

.... here is your point.:D

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I guess I'm not very observant or maybe this is something new... but I just now noticed a double pan balance icon under my avatar.

I clicked it and it told me I had some "reputation points".

What is that? I looked it up on the Forum Documentation page and it described it but it also said you can see your reputation on the bottom of the control panel. I looked but could not find a link to such a thing.

Anybody know what this is? Is it new or has it always been there and I'm just a dolt?:redface:
Been there since I joined back in '11.

See that little green dot under your post tally?

Jan 19, 2010
Been there since I joined back in '11.

See that little green dot under your post tally?
Okay, so I'm a dolt...:redface:

and if you are bad do you get a red dot...:D

...but my other question was...

Where is it on your control panel. On the forum documentation page it says you can go to the bottom of your control panel and read the comments left by reputation givers. I could not find that link.

Have you seen that? :confused:

Feb 20, 2011
Okay, so I'm a dolt...:redface:

and if you are bad do you get a red dot...:D

...but my other question was...

Where is it on your control panel. On the forum documentation page it says you can go to the bottom of your control panel and read the comments left by reputation givers. I could not find that link.

Have you seen that? :confused:
You're not a dolt, and yes, if enough folks disapprove via the balance scale of something you've posted, the little dot is red.

As to the control panel, I haven't seen any link there to read any comments that may have been made as to my reputation. There'd probably be some insults in there. :D
When I approve a post, it's very rare for me to go beyond just the "I approve" stage and make any additional comments.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
You're not a dolt, and yes, if enough folks disapprove via the balance scale of something you've posted, the little dot is red.

As to the control panel, I haven't seen any link there to read any comments that may have been made as to my reputation. There'd probably be some insults in there. :D
When I approve a post, it's very rare for me to go beyond just the "I approve" stage and make any additional comments.

"topcat is a pretty decent person"
naturally aspiring to the ranks of the "well regarded"
before our boat turns 100.

Red dot - huh.

Makes me wonder how the reputation ranks read going negative??

-10 "topcat is a naughty person"
-100 "topcat is very naughty person"
-1000 "topcat is just a f$^%$#@ a$%&*hole"

Feb 20, 2011

Red dot - huh.

"_________ causes a bit of trouble" is the first level down, I think.

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago

Red dot - huh.

I would make - 1000 a goal just to see that hah!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I am always leery of anonymous criticism and praise. In this case it allows one or two people to vendetta another because of a personal difference. Since most don't even use this feature, that's a lot of leverage in the hands of a few anonymous crusaders..... of course, it could go the other way also... where a few people got together and decided to praise each other till the sky falls.... So.. what is the point?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I am always leery of anonymous criticism and praise. In this case it allows one or two people to vendetta another because of a personal difference. Since most don't even use this feature, that's a lot of leverage in the hands of a few anonymous crusaders..... of course, it could go the other way also... where a few people got together and decided to praise each other till the sky falls.... So.. what is the point?
I agree exactly.. ive seen something like this on other forums and it works exactly like you describe.

luckily, between the good nature of the sailors on this site, and the moderators keeping them that way, we dont have that kind of behavior going on:D...

and in a perfect world, and playing the game, would you give some one a point because they are your friend... or because they helped you solve problem.. or you know they helped someone else... or because you like their avatar or bio... or you think they have some celebrity status... ????

and when would you give a criticisim or take a point.... maybe because they arent friendly and likable, and maybe only to you... or because they gave information that wasnt helpful to your situation... or because you dont like the way they do things, or their boat isnt up to your standards????....

this is just my opinion on wondering how it is supposed to work, and be fair for everybody:D...

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
This kind of thing only works if no one takes it very seriously, which appears to be the case here. As soon as it becomes important it's going to become a fiasco.

Jan 19, 2010
I agree exactly.. ive seen something like this on other forums and it works exactly like you describe.

luckily, between the good nature of the sailors on this site, and the moderators keeping them that way, we dont have that kind of behavior going on:D...

and in a perfect world, and playing the game, would you give some one a point because they are your friend... or because they helped you solve problem.. or you know they helped someone else... or because you like their avatar or bio... or you think they have some celebrity status... ????

and when would you give a criticisim or take a point.... maybe because they arent friendly and likable, and maybe only to you... or because they gave information that wasnt helpful to your situation... or because you dont like the way they do things, or their boat isnt up to your standards????....

this is just my opinion on wondering how it is supposed to work, and be fair for everybody:D...
Sounds like a couple of trouble makers...;)
.:poke:

Feb 20, 2011
You cannot "praise each other 'til the sky falls". Try it.

Here's what happens when I try adding to your rep:

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
This kind of thing only works if no one takes it very seriously, which appears to be the case here. As soon as it becomes important it's going to become a fiasco.
Folks here sometimes ask why there isn't a "like" button for certain posts.

Well, there is one.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
granger is getting a reputation. It's good to be under the radar.