Repowering my H26

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
In my attempt to better align the motor I have added two spacers to the outside motor bracket. A 2 inch spacer goes a long way to aligning the motor.

Attachments

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
I ended up purchasing the high thrust Yamaha 9.9. I mounted the controller on the cockpit seat with the shortest control cables available. So far it works great! The spacers on my bracket are working out well but it does cause the mounding board to be slightly off of horizontal. I think I may revisit that mod to see if it can be optimized.

Now I have completed a connecting rod. The Yamaha is equipped with a friction lock so that when I have the connecting rod attached I can release the friction so that it tracks the rudder. I haven't taken it out on the water so will report again later.

Attachments

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Here's another view showing the tiller side connection.

Attachments

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I really like that setup Fred! I will need to get a pair of those metal brackets for the motor mount.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
After having used the linkage arrangement for a bit I can report that it works well! I might beef up the arm bracket at some point cuz it's a bit soft but the geometry seems to be ok. One secondary benefit is that while at anchor I can lock the motor and that keeps the rudder in place as well without my tiller tamer blocking the walkway to the swim ladder.