Repowering Islander 36

Apr 14, 2021
Ranger 29 berkeley
I’m considering purchasing a beautifully restored Islander 36, steeply discounted on account of a crack in the engine block (Yanmar 3gm30f).

The quote for a local yard to repower is around $20,000 but there’s a used Yanmar 2gm20f for sale (running great) that’s affordable and seems to fit perfectly - down to the mounts.
I’m wondering if 18 HP would be enough for this boat. I don’t rely heavily on the engine anyway, although I would be sailing in strong currents occasionally (up to 4-5 knots near the Golden Gate Bridge).
Any advice on how to repower without spending $10k+, or fixing a cracked block?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum!
My opinion is that the 2GM 20 may be a little underpowered for that boat but it would be serviceable with the correct propeller ..

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I had a Yanmar 2GM in a 9,000 lb 30 foot boat - it was adequate for the boat but no more than that. It would not be enough power for a 36 footer.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
As far as the used engine, I agree with others that 18 HP would not be sufficient power. I also would think that $20,000 today is not going to cover the total cost of the yard re-power, especially in the SF bay area. Unless the yard is going to give you a total inclusive upfront cost, I think you will find some costly extras when the actual work is done.

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
My H-310 has a Yanmar 2GM20F and it sit right on the line of being underpowered.

An islander 36 is out of the question.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Why go with the yard? Think a Beta Marine install by an independent jobber. Also, blocks can be replaced if low hours warrant or can sometimes be even repaired. You need to explore this further. Good luck. great boat.