Repower or repair?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I started doing a shaft alignment yesterday and was astonished to find the aft port flange off the bell housing where the motor mount connects was fractured completely in half. This is a Universal M25 motor. The fracture did not originate in the hole for the motor mount. Thus the motor is completely disconnected from that motor mount. This is all part of the bell housing casting. A new bell housing is around 750 bucks plus all the work of R &R. Given the 31 year age of the motor I am considering repowering versus fixing this motor, with consideration that the starter, seals, alternator, etc are all as old as the motor. Anyone here re-powered their 34 or 35 and if so with what and what hurdles did you encounter in the process? I am considering a Beta 25 or M25XPB but reviews on the M25XPB show some issues. Any other suggestions?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You can always take your current bell housing to a welder for repair and it won't be close to $750. If I had to repower my M25 I'd go with a Beta - and shoot for 30 hp as I am currently slightly underpowered.
Les

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
It appears to be an aluminum casting as I don't see rust in the fracture. Welding might weaken it from the heat effected zone. It looks like the stress riser from the intersection with the bell section was the initiation site? I also see some oil or trans fluid on the bottom of the housing so a seal is probably leaking likely from excess engine vibes.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like a bracket could be fabricated that would use a couple of existing bellhousing/block bolts and have a component from which to support the motor at the mount.. a small semicircle of steel with a piece of plate welded to it and a hole in that plate to attach to the elastic mount.. Bolts would have to be replaced with slightly longer ones..
Edit: you'd still have to pull the housing to get at it.. There is a technique called "Metal Stitching" that ya may want to investigate.. would repair the part with no welding..

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I have a m25-XPB the po installed. Has worked out very well. I really like the self bleeding features. Only issue was the Sherwood pump failing at 50 hrs on the meter. I replaced it easily with an Oberdorfer. Other minor annoyance is need to remove the alternator to replace the belt. Easily gets boat to hull speed around 2500 rpm with two blade 16x9 prop.
Hopefully you can get it repaired with a weld.

May 20, 2016
That should be an easy part to weld -- a decent welder will correctly anneal the part so as not to weaken it. Also I would add a 3/8" gusset perpendicular and across the fracture and tie it in to the starter hump of the bell housing for additional strength.

Les

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'd consider a repower and be happy that old mill gave 30 years of service. If you're the type of guy who has the skills, resources, and time to do a complete bench rebuild (including the welding) it might be a cheaper way to go... BUT, save yourself the time and frustration. Get the Beta for more power, better fuel economy, warranty, etc and save yourself numerous potential setbacks and headaches.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
If I had the coin, I would repower with a Beta 25 (realize that the M25 had 21HP). You would save yourself much of the hunting and searching for "Univers-terbeake" parts and KNOW EXACTLY how the new motor gets broken in. The Beta distribuitor for the US East Coast is in NC too. You could then sell your used M25 and the HBW-50 on Ebay for about $3k to help fill in the hole in your wallet. Even if you parted the motor out, the exhaust manifold, in good condition, should be worth close to $1K.

Let us know what you decide to do!

I suspect that you will need a new cutless bearing as well.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
This thread describes some of the concerns with the M25 XPB. Can't say I've been happy with the M25 quality. The block seems fine but the Universal add-ons troublesome. Too small heat exchanger capacity, fractured alternator brackets, trailer plug connectors, routing charging current through an ammeter. Lastly spare parts discontinued in some cases.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/universal-m-25xpb.109056/

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Too small heat exchanger capacity, fractured alternator brackets, trailer plug connectors, routing charging current through an ammeter.
Dave, your link provided eye-opening issues with those engines. I agree with eh and you about them.

However, it appears to me that the inherent engine problems are one thing but the trailer plug connectors, routing charging current through an ammeter have nothing to do with the engine, they were a builder shortcut and "the way things were done back then", respectively. We still see old boats with cockpit ammeters, even though we have been writing about this nonsense for over 15 years. I had a 2 inch HX on my M25, it's a simple swap out to a larger one, most of us have done it, and a HX eventually needs to be replaced anyway.

Yes, you're right, all in all, not great engine, but many have been stuck with them and learned how to deal with them.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you're going to keep the boat for another 10 yr; repower. If not, fix it and start looking for a newer boat w/newer engine. I faced the same issue w/ my 1979 Pearson 30, 11-hp Universal. Literally, I traded it (to the broker) in 2004 toward purchase of the boat I have now. So, either move on, or repower. I spent about as much on the Universal in the last 2 to 3 yr of owning that boat as I have spent to date on the Yanmar in 13 yr of owning the Bavaria, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Stu, The ammeter and trailer plug connections were all part of the engine. The panel and wire harnesses all come as part of an engine purchase, so that is just the way Universal designed the system. I never had the bracket fail for the alternator but the screw that held the bracket to the manifold sheared off flush to the manifold and I was lucky enough to catch it before catastrophic failure. The Beta engine is still a Kubota block and I've been happy with the M25 for starting and running. The Beta puts the fuel filter forward on the engine for ease of changing filters. Also it will be nice to have a serpentine belt. The fuel system bleed should be the same since that is part of the engine system. Hey I've used it for 22 years now so it isn't that bad but that fracture shows a pretty low safety factor for the engine mounting. Maybe bouncing around in all the hurricanes we have here over stressed it :>) ?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
WOW! I just read the other thread (rant?) about the Catalina with the M25-XPB.
The complaints in that thread are:
- broken fuel filter bracket (repeated)
- rough idle
- broken wires
- starter solenoid
- lift pump
- hard to bleed
- fuel pump
- (raw) water pump
- shaft drive for the raw water pump
- heat exchanger bracket

I will say that I learned a lot about my M25 motor in the 8 years that I have had it, and the engine is original from 1986. I would NOT trade it for a Yanmar.

I believe that the Kubota engine on which it is based is a great engine. Universal/Westerbeake, however have done a piss poor job with their marinization of it. Kubota engines are also the base from which Beta Marine makes their engines. I believe that Beta Marine have done a better job with their marinization.

I'll address each of the concerns raised in the other thread:
o I have not had any problems with the fuel filter bracket, so I don't know what that's all about.
o The idle for these engines should be set as follows;

My idle is set to 900 on my M25 (Kubota D-850), and I have no issues.
o I have a complete spare starter (~$80) but it has not been needed, as my engine starts fine.
o The electric Facet lift pump is easy to service (there is a filter in there) and these are readily available through Amazon and auto parts stores (NAPA, Pep Boys, etc.).
o Bleeding is rediculously easy! Open the bleed valve, and turn the key to "on" for 1 minute. Turn the key to "off" then close the bleed valve. I have bled Yanmars, and the process is tedious.
o There were two different manufacturers of the raw water pump; Oberdorfer and Sherwood. The Oberdorfer pump (NM202-15) has a bronze pump body, and it can be rebuilt. You can also replace the Oberdorfer pump for less than $250. I rebuilt my Oberdorfer in 2010, and it has been fine ever since. I have a spare if I need it. The Sherwood pump has a ferrous pump body (steel or iron - don't remember which) and antcedotally I have learned that these are good for about two seasons or 150 engine hours.
o I PREFER to have a shaft driven pump, so long as the shaft will not bind to the pump body (and it won't if you have an Oberdorfer pump). Changing the impeller can be done easilly without removing the entire pump, bracket, belt, and cover, as you must with a Yanmar.
o I've never had a problem with the heat exchanger bracket.

Not mentioned in the other thread were the following upgrades that I recommend to everyone with one of these engines:
- The heat exchanger was undersized by Universal. I suggest that everyone upgrade from the 2¼" diameter heat exchanger to a 3".
- The original alternator mounting bracket is an oil spill waiting to happen. The alternator with this bracket is mounted to a boss on the timing case cover. Vibration of the alternator will cause this boss to break, and it will spill oil out of the engine. There is an upgraded version of the alternator mounting bracket, and this should be replaced ASAP if it has not been done already. Here is a picture of my engine with the new style bracket installed supporting a Leece-Nevill 90A alternator;

- The plumbing that carries engine coolant to the hot water heater was initially between the heat exchanger and the exhaust manifold. For several reasons, this is the wrong place to make this connection. The correct location for this is in the thermostat bypass loop which runs from the thermostat housing to the belt driven coolant pump on the engine.
- The trailer plug connectors is another well known and documented issue. Remove the trailer plugs and replace with terminal strips.
- The original AMP meter was wired IN SERIES with the rest of the electrical system. REMOVE the AMP meter, and re-design and document your electrical system. This is my diagram;

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
I'm overall happy with my M25 --
  1. Previous owner had alternator bracket failure - welded up timing cover & hung alternator on same bracket (I think this is why he sold the boat in 2016). The bilge is still oily mess.
  2. I replaced the alternator bracket this winter. Forced me to get new alternator as existing one didn't fit on new bracket, went from 95A to 90A with external regulator (614)
  3. Not all M25's have the bleading system you describe - early ones like mine have only a bolt (like on the secondary fuel filter) so Diesel goes everywhere when bleading. I purchased and installed necessary upgrade parts.
  4. I still have 2" exchanger - I can not run WOT for very long before overheating (Mr. Cool is on todo list)
  5. Still had trailer plugs at the panel - replaced last summer.
  6. had amp gauge and glow plug mod done before I purchased it.
  7. I added oil pressure/switch combo to be able to read actual oil pressure, which on an older engine is vital.
  8. I added Noland Engineering RS11 to I could see engine vitals on the MFD's at the helm (RPM, Oil Press, Water Temp)
With all that I'm still happy with it - it starts in under a second, doesn't smoke much, doesn't use oil (all last summer on ~ 1/4 pint of oil).