Replacing windows, H31, 1987

Nov 30, 2016
Hunter 31 Madisonville
I want to replace my port and starboard windows. I'm not sure if what I currently have are factory originals or have been modified. See pictures. What I have now looks like they are surface mounted, no frame. Interior there is a teak frame. Im not sure how its attached. I'm also assuming the window material is Plexiglass with a slight tint.

I know there are retrofit windows with frames available but at this time I'm not wanting to invest that much.

Can any confirm if what I have is original factory? Has anyone change my style windows and can
20200629_150128.jpg
20200629_150332.jpg
provide any advise, type material, etc.

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
I would say original my 87 h31 has the exact same units and i have records that go back 4 owners. I had thought about changing them myself but not leaking and have other projects to consider. Good luck post what you end up doing as i am interested. Eddie

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I don't have a 31 here to look at but I'm fairly sure the windows came in two configurations: aluminum frames and plastic frames. I also don't think Hunter would have used screws (or certainly not so many) to install the windows, as screws don't give and can crack the plexi from hull flex.

But hey, I've been wrong once or twice before. :biggrin:

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
Consider the interior teak frame is smaller and the interior liner has not been altered I would suggest that the framed unit's were either after the thought or were from previous years.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have not seen a 31 with frameless windows, but they may have done that in the last year or so? All the 31's I have seen had the aluminum or white PVC frames.. The exact same as the forward fixed ports on the 34. The lower one was original on my '85 h-34 .. the upper is one I made from plastic lumber with a routed out relief to hold the tinted plexiglass. I don't like the frame I made .. it looks a bit too clunky. I am collecting stuff now to go to a frameless setup attached with 3M VHB sticky tape and caulked with Dow 795..
If your glass is not cracked at a few screws, you could replace in kind? If cracked at the screw heads, you can use stainless pan head screws with the hole in the glass drilled slightly larger than the screw so that the glass can expand and contract without binding on the holes.. If secured by screws, butyl tape would be a good sealant ..
Stbd port frame.JPG:D

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
not original, as kloudie posted they were aluminum or plastic frame. Aluminum frame was prone to leaking. New plastic design is much better and seamless.
The original windows were made for hunter by Mark plastics in California.
I replaced mine in my h34 about seven years ago and I believe that they were responsible price for custom windows. Fairly easy to install. They had all measurements on file.