Replacing the muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Yes, agree with Stu (or Stew as I read recently!! probably fits sometimes eh?) I am pretty sure I talked to Ken or Kent! Maybe call your local dealer to see if there is a better phone number to get in touch with them. I think it might have been these guys who seemed to do things the old fashioned way........ hold regular type hours, take a lunch and don't answer the phone,......you know, not business 24/7. I really liked them and we are so happy with our muffler...... nice, clean, no issues whatsoever.:)

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
stu, kent is in customer relations and, imho, not good about getting back to people. i've only had to call frank once and he really read the riot act to a supplier when nobdy before him seemed to care. it's been a while since i called catalina and i have no idea how things have changed since the move to florida. and we agree that people seem to want to rely on anonymous statements on a website than call a great company that makes great boats. by the way, a friend bought a brand new 385 and has lots of warranty issues which are all being taken care of by catalina, but my friend has better things to do than sail 25 miles to the dealer. older boats ain't the only with problems,

Jan 6, 2010
Brad,

You may not hear from Ken for a couple of days, but he always got back to me.
I haven't seen a photo of your situation, but if yours is like I describe below, maybe it will work for you.

I had a similar case with my muffler. Fortunately, the leak on the intake side was a crack in the mudded area around the tube. It seemed to have lifted away from the top about a quarter way around.

What I did, was to find a throw away piece of existing fiberglas I had laying around from a previous project (the thicker the better). I save alot of this just in case. I cut two pieces of glass. I sized them to match the dimensions from center of tube out to the edges of the muffler, & extending larger towards the inside area of the muffler top. Think of it as having a 5" square piece with the hole offset.

I drilled the matching holes thru both pieces, oversized somewhat to allow a min. 1/8" space from the O.D. of the tube to the holes I cut (for glassing purposes). I prepped the tank top & around the tube, and glassed these pieces in. If not sure on the best way to do this, have someone do the glassing. I glassed the two pieces together first before attaching to muffler.

I also bought what is called a bump hose & installed it between the mixing tee and the muffler inlet. It has been holding up for about 10 years now.

If your damage is like mine, this might be the cheapest way to go pal.

CR

I should also add that my problem was caused by vibration thru the exhaust piping that was the culprit. Hence the bump hose.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Was in touch with Ken Roy at Catalina the other day and he specifically said that if I need anything again I should call an have him paged so he doesn't miss the call. The number he gave is 727-544-6681. Not sure if that's the number you called. Don't know what his hours are but I caught him in the middle of the day, like 1pm eastern time.

Give it a shot.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
luz, your experience with catalina yachts echoes mine. i'm always amazed how many contributors to this forum seem paralyzed to call catalina, like they owned a pearson or an
o'day.
i agree with this whole hartedly....I own an S2 and i talked to Catalina in Fl about port light materials one time and they were more than glad to help and spent the time to do so....now i call that customer service at its best...........

regards woody

Dec 1, 2011
Catalina 1984 C30 Tall Rig Bow Sprit MD
luz, your experience with catalina yachts echoes mine. i'm always amazed how many contributors to this forum seem paralyzed to call catalina, like they owned a pearson or an
o'day.
Kent is great. My problem has been getting to talk to Ken to buy parts. I have never heard from him after leaving voice messages; nor talked to him on the phone. I do keep trying though.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
To Woodster - I sympathize with you trying to find parts specific to S 2 yachts.
Anything related to deck or cabin pieces have to be custom made. One of the privelages of owning a Catalina. As for Morty stating: "we agree that people seem to want to rely on anonymous statements on a website than call a great company that makes great boats"
that seems a bit ironic coming from someone who gives so much opinionated advice on this website! lol.

Jan 6, 2010
Mort,

Catalina has had a factory in Largo Florida as far back as I can remember. But Kent is in the California corporate office. I have gotten alot of parts from the largo office & I usually ask for Warren @ 727.544.6681.

I believe they bought out Morgan, & now make three lines of boats, 2 sail & 1 power.

I add this so maybe some folks can get parts from here.

CR

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
I have not replaced the muffler on my Catalina, but I did on my cal 34... It was a cast iron iron thing of the iron age-- I replaced it with a smaller Fiberglas water lift. The a cheaper muffler is ok if it reputable brand-- the plumbing is the critical issue in my experience. Follow what you have as far as distances, angles and loops and you should be fine. You may want to check you exhaust hose-- it can collapse on the inside and create more back pressure.

Nov 24, 2011
Catalina 30 San Diego
I called Catalina Yachts last week and got right through to Ken, in Florida. He wants me to send him some photos of my muffler as they used a couple of different ones in the time period my boat was made. I have been sick and haven't been able to get to the boat but will this week. The cost was the same as Catalina Direct (they get their parts from Catalina Yachts). Stu had a good point I forgot about which was the drain valve at the bottom for those who have to crank the engine for a while in order to get it started. Most mufflers don't have one. So I decided I am going to get the replacement muffler as it will fit right in without modifying the exhaust and the only additional cost is the exhaust pipe gadget. My exhaust pipe is covered in asbestos however so I guess I will need gloves and a mask.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Please be very careful around asbestos. I work as a building inspector & know several guys who were plumbers & Navy shipyard workers who got asbestosis, a very nasty form of lung cancer. If U think U have asbestos pipe wrap, it may be worth hiring out to a pro to remove it. The dust settles everywhere if it becomes airborne. Not worth saving a few bucks for by messing with. You need more then a dust mask; U must use a micro paticulate respirator, a hepa filtered negative pressure fan to pull any dust out & trap it & a tyvek suit that U can throw away after use. An ounce of prevention..........

Nov 24, 2011
Catalina 30 San Diego
Thanks for the info on the asbestos. I took another look at the wrapping on the exhaust pipe and it isn't asbestos. I think it is a type of heat wrap that looks a lot like fiberglass. I looked in to it and it isn't too expensive to replace but I think I will need gloves and a mask to handle it.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
If your boat is built after 1978 it does not have asbestos. If it was built before that, send me a photo and I can tell you if it is likely asbestos.

Status
Not open for further replies.