replacing the keel winch wire.

worane

Apr 20, 2014
Catalina swing keel 25 geelong
My C 25 is sitting on it's swing keel on the wide thick timber plank that sits on the base of my trailer.
Can anyone tell me how high I would have to lift the stern of the hull to replace the keel wire?
I would like to do that rather than take it to a marina and slip the boat on a trailer sailer cradle. That would cost me about $550.00.
and the old wire has been removed already,
Regards Nick.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello worane,

There have been discussions on this site about lifting a boat off its trailer. Use the "search" option at the top of the page to review those to see if the discussions can help you with the safe lifting and supporting phases of your project. "How far to lift" is something I can not answer for your specific boat, but I have replaced the swing keel line on an Oday 30. On that boat the attachment onto the swing keel was on the aft side of the board 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down the board. We did that in the water using scuba gear because the boat was not trailered. Pay close attention to the size of the connector (knot, clamp, cable loop, or ????) that you use to secure the CB cable/line. It can cause havoc if it wedges in the CB trunk or the opening through the hull where the line/cable goes up to the winch. (I know that from experience.)

Best wishes

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
6 inches

The keel on a Catalina 25 only goes up into the hull keel slot a couple inches.
You only need to lift the hull at the rear of the keel a couple inches to remove the pin that holds the cable to it.

Find some styrofoam packing blocks, a small piece of plywood and a 55 gallon drum or something almost as high. Lower the jack on the front of the trailer as low as it will go. Slide the drum or similar object under the stern, next the plywood with the foam on top and block the plywood and foam up against the hull. Raise the jack at the front of the trailer.

Make sure the trailer wheels are blocked front and back.

worane

Apr 20, 2014
Catalina swing keel 25 geelong
Re: 6 inches

Thanks Watercolours. That is a great idea, use the leverage / fulcrum effect. Sounds great.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Another option.... find a small garage and ask to pay the $50 to lift your boat for about an hour. If he is having a slow day... no problems.

Oct 6, 2011
MacGregor 17.5 New Smyrna Beach
Re: 6 inches

Greetings Watercolors. ( I may have asked you before ) Are you the same Watercolours that I met up with in New Smyrna Beach area about 3 months ago - around early May? Just curious really - we discussed graphic design and the "portability" of earning a living online - while under sail, etc... You were headed back north and took the time to chat with a rookie sailor (me) and I'll say the conversation definitely got me daydreaming. Hope you are well.
If not the same "Watercolor", then... (never mind)! Thanks,
Curt

Dec 20, 2010
Yankee Condore 21 Halifax
You only need to lift the hull at the rear of the keel a couple inches to remove the pin that holds the cable to it.

Find some styrofoam packing blocks, a small piece of plywood and a 55 gallon drum or something almost as high. Lower the jack on the front of the trailer as low as it will go. Slide the drum or similar object under the stern, next the plywood with the foam on top and block the plywood and foam up against the hull. Raise the jack at the front of the trailer.

Make sure to place the Blocking under a full or partial bulkhead so not to overstress the hull

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis

If you are talking about the jack on the tongue with the little wheel I don't think I would trust that. They are made for supporting a few hundred pounds or so depending on the tongue weight not a significant portion of the boat weight. Maybe a proper jack in that position instead? I have used a combination of jacks/timbers/2x8s for support to lift my boat a few inches above the trailer to replace bunk boards. If you have a marina nearby how about just having them lift it in the travelift for an hour while you do your thing. On a slow day shouldn't cost to much I would hope.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I'd try and find a sailing club with a small lift. We have one at our club. I just used it to do the same cable job on my Siren 17. I would suggest the correct cable attachments.
The automotive garage hoist idea sounds good too.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Findings41 pictures show the job very well. That is essentially how the Balboa keel is attached to the cable. You can order so SS plates from McMaster and drill the holes yourself.

ECB

Aug 16, 2015
Siren 17 Scarborough Bluffs Sailing Club
I'd try and find a sailing club with a small lift. We have one at our club. I just used it to do the same cable job on my Siren 17. I would suggest the correct cable attachments.
The automotive garage hoist idea sounds good too.
Hey finding41 - I just replaced my Siren17's keel wire as well (in the water!) I lead the cable the way it was previously, aft of the steel roller in the hole - now I'm second guessing that because the last owner (my grandpa) was notoriously careless about the way he did repairs. Does yours go fore or aft of the roller?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Helpful
Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
The cable goes aft of the roller (guide pin) like is shown in the photo. I also have a Siren 17, and it is rigged the same way.

By the way, "ECB" and "finding41", are you members of the Siren 17 Owners Group on Facebook? If not, you should join us... Great people and lots of information to be shared about our boats!

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
Sold my '78 Catalina 25 about 19 years ago, it was a great beginner boat.

I used a 4X4 across the trailer rails and the car jack with a wood block under the centerline about 4 feet aft of the keel. Only have to lift about 2" to slide the new cable up. Since you are only moving the hull the weight is well within working limits of the car hjack, and with a 2X4 block you will be located right about where the slings would go.

Nice boat.

ECB

Aug 16, 2015
Siren 17 Scarborough Bluffs Sailing Club
Sold my '78 Catalina 25 about 19 years ago, it was a great beginner boat.

I used a 4X4 across the trailer rails and the car jack with a wood block under the centerline about 4 feet aft of the keel. Only have to lift about 2" to slide the new cable up. Since you are only moving the hull the weight is well within working limits of the car hjack, and with a 2X4 block you will be located right about where the slings would go.

Nice boat.
Thanks! It was fun to tip it over though.

Jan 19, 2010
Hey finding41 - I just replaced my Siren17's keel wire as well (in the water!) I lead the cable the way it was previously, aft of the steel roller in the hole - now I'm second guessing that because the last owner (my grandpa) was notoriously careless about the way he did repairs. Does yours go fore or aft of the roller?

Thanks!
Great photo... I've thought about doing something similar to bottom paint in the water. You've given me some ideas.

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 22 New Braunfels
I haven't read the other replies but I saw this on another site and put my own spin on it. A guy made 2 stands out of 2x4's to support the stern bottom. He lowered the trailer to the lowest point and then placed the stands underneath and then jacked up the front of the trailer with a floor jack. I will raise the back end and drop your keel to expose the fitting and you can hook up your new cable. My spin.... I used a stack of pallets and padded the contact point with a 3" kneeling pad from Home Depot. Works great and it is easy.

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 22 New Braunfels
Thanks kappy. Painting the Bottom today. I have to repair the Bow Eye then she is getting wet for the first time for me.