Replacing Sea-Fire Automatic Extinguisher in engine compartment, Hunter 33 2006

Tomek

Oct 4, 2015
Hunter 33 Penetanguishene
The gauge on it is on the border of green zone, so I guess it is time to replace it or recharge (if possible).
Does anyone know where to get the replacement, and what exact model number it is?
I have the manual, but it is for the whole series of FD and FG Sea-Fire extinguishers

Tomek

Oct 4, 2015
Thank you, tfox2069, for useful information that helped me find other information on this subject. However, I still don't know the exact model number of the bottle (the boat is 180 km away). Also, does anybody know where to get it in Canada, preferably Ontario. Shipping HAZMAT stuff across the border does not seem an easy task.

Tomek

Oct 4, 2015
Thank you Scott B.
In the end, I asked service in my marina to check and inspect the system. They contacted Sea-Fire and with their guidance inspected the system, and found that it does not need replacement. The arrow was on the side of overcharge, which apparently is normal at temperatures above 70°F. When I looked at it, I had to use the selfie camera on my phone, which mirrored the sides and I mistakenly thought it needs to be recharged/replaced. Which in turn leads me to think that tfox2069 possibly didn't have to change his system either (see the link he posted in this thread).

Anyway, it was still quite costly, but I feel better now that I don't expect my engine to be suddenly shut off by the system, and apparently there is an override switch. I learnt a lot about the system and its operation, which may come handy at some point. I consider the expense as a cost of learning - better safe than sorry, etc. ;-)

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Thank you Scott B.
In the end, I asked service in my marina to check and inspect the system. They contacted Sea-Fire and with their guidance inspected the system, and found that it does not need replacement. The arrow was on the side of overcharge, which apparently is normal at temperatures above 70°F. When I looked at it, I had to use the selfie camera on my phone, which mirrored the sides and I mistakenly thought it needs to be recharged/replaced. Which in turn leads me to think that tfox2069 possibly didn't have to change his system either (see the link he posted in this thread).

Anyway, it was still quite costly, but I feel better now that I don't expect my engine to be suddenly shut off by the system, and apparently there is an override switch. I learnt a lot about the system and its operation, which may come handy at some point. I consider the expense as a cost of learning - better safe than sorry, etc. ;-)
Very interesting Tomek - appreciate you sharing the conclusion of your experience. I never did ask Seafire about the extinguisher reading high - just to replace it. Interesting to know I might have gotten that answer. At the time the boat I was selling had been surveyed, and the surveyor recommended replacement, so in order to get the boat sold I didn't dig into it and just replaced the extinguisher (which had always read high). Great piece of info. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Recharging might require a hydrostatic testing. Most steel cylinders are good for 12 yrs following the most recent date stamp on the tank. The problem that you may run into is what is the agent. Over the years there have been several once thought outstanding suppressing agents that were later banned as carcinogenic..

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Recharging might require a hydrostatic testing. Most steel cylinders are good for 12 yrs following the most recent date stamp on the tank. The problem that you may run into is what is the agent. Over the years there have been several once thought outstanding suppressing agents that were later banned as carcinogenic..
Greenhouse gases. Your probably thinking of Pfas that is used in firefighting foams. Not typically used on handheld extinguishers or system like discussed.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Greenhouse gases. Your probably thinking of Pfas that is used in firefighting foams. Not typically used on handheld extinguishers or system like discussed.
Actually the substance used in fire suppression systems was often Halon. It is a chlorofluorocarbon. They were regulated and the manufacture banned under the Montreal Protocol in the 1990s because they are ozone depleting substances. They rise into the upper atmosphere and eat holes in the ozone layer. This destruction of the ozone layer permits excess sunlight and up radiation to reach the ground leading to a host of other environmental issues.
Halon was replaced by other substances including carbon dioxide in suppression systems.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Actually the substance used in fire suppression systems was often Halon. It is a chlorofluorocarbon. They were regulated and the manufacture banned under the Montreal Protocol in the 1990s because they are ozone depleting substances. They rise into the upper atmosphere and eat holes in the ozone layer. This destruction of the ozone layer permits excess sunlight and up radiation to reach the ground leading to a host of other environmental issues.
Halon was replaced by other substances including carbon dioxide in suppression systems.
Well I was trying to be basic but a Halon is not a CFC, they contain a bromine molecule. You are correct that they deplete the ozone but both CFCs and Halons are considered greenhouse gases in most fields of which you actually described.....
this might help;