REPLACING RAYMARINE ELECTRONICS

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 45CC Lancaster VA
I have a 2006 Hunter 45cc with the Raymarine C80 Chartplotter. I had the C80 replaced with a salvaged unit recently, but it seems to have failed again. I had replaced the unit when it kept loosing communication with the autopilot. But yesterday, the newer screen went to black while I was sailing, but the communication with the autopilot seemed to be working.

I think it may be time to replace the chartplotter with new, but I understand that the entire communication protocol has gone digital, so everything will have to be replaced (wind, depth, speed, autopilot, radar). Had anyone gone through this, and if so, at what cost?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I don’t know what you have in the way of other Raymarine instruments but in my cas, I installed a new eSeries chart plotter and it integrates well with my ST60 instrumentation and autopilot.
There is a “bridge” that raymarine sells to integrate old Seatalk to Seatalk ng.
As for cost, just the basic Seatalk ng backbone starter kit for less than $100 and the bridge.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I gave away my C80 chart plotter and went with a 9" Axiom. All the other models from RM will soon be obsolete. The AXIOM 9" fit in my Navpod using a adapter plate.
Axiom uses the NMEA2000 network. I created a network to display engine data on the chart plotter and it went very well, just plug and play. NMEA 2000 is nice because you are not tied to one vendor for all of your equipment. As I need to replace my other gauges/equipment I will just install them on the network.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You don’t need to replace everything. If your other instruments are Seatalk, just get a SeatalkNG to Seatalk converter(under $100). Then get a new Axiom to other plotterand connect with SeattalkNG to NMEA cable

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
You don’t need to replace everything. If your other instruments are Seatalk, just get a SeatalkNG to Seatalk converter(under $100). Then get a new Axiom to other plotterand connect with SeattalkNG to NMEA cable
I did exactly this on mine. I'm using the stock 2003 speed, depth, wind and autopilot integrated with a new Axiom 7.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You don't have to stay with a Raymarine chartplotter, either. I have ST60 wind, speed depth interfaced to an NMEA2000 network, with B&G Zeus2 chartplotters and Simrad autopilot, driving a Raymarine linear drive.

(BTW, B&G, Simrad, Lowrance, and Navico are all the same company. Much of the pieces are just labeled differently, with potentially more or less features exposed.)

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
It is not an easy upgrade. The instruments go from Seatalk to nmea2000 either through the Raymarine converter or through a Raymarine blackbox that is relatively cheap. Then you have the autopilot, while it will work through the converter you will want to upgrade to a new autopilot that is nmea 2000 compatible soon or later. Then you need to upgrade the radar, The Axiom + Quantum is a good way to go but there are other options as well. Then you need to run the nmea 2000 network. Budget $3-5,000, depending on the autopilot upgrade.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If there is no radar the cost would be ~$150 + the chart plotter. Easy project.

E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter kit $87
A06045 SeaTalkNG to female N2K $28

Add your own plotter and done. Prices from. Defender but you can find cheaper
I usuallybuy RM from Anchor Express

Les

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
"You don't have to stay with a Raymarine chartplotter, either."
At the Annapolis boat show last fall I tried all the chart plotters and the Axiom won hands down on touch screen response. The response was just like a smart phone. Other brands had to think about it for a while before scrolling or pinch and zoom.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yep, I have wind on my i70, and my neighbour shows me wind, both true and apparent, overlayed on the Axiom. Quite cool.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 45CC Lancaster VA
Thank you to everyone who responded. I do have a 2006 Raydome radar too. I am told that it would need to be replaced since it is not compatible with the new digital displays. The rest of my existing instruments are ST60s, and an ST6001 Smartpilot.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Thank you to everyone who responded. I do have a 2006 Raydome radar too. I am told that it would need to be replaced since it is not compatible with the new digital displays. The rest of my existing instruments are ST60s, and an ST6001 Smartpilot.
The ST6001 and ST60s will work fine with the correct adapter. The Raymarine part number you need is E22158. Do you know what model Radome you have? According to Raymarine, the following Radar units will work with Axiom:
- Quantum Radomes
- HD Radomes (RD418HD, RD424HD)
- 4kW HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- 4kW Super HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- 12kW HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- 12kW Super HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- legacy Digital Radomes (RD418D, RD424D)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 45CC Lancaster VA
The ST6001 and ST60s will work fine with the correct adapter. The Raymarine part number you need is E22158. Do you know what model Radome you have? According to Raymarine, the following Radar units will work with Axiom:
- Quantum Radomes
- HD Radomes (RD418HD, RD424HD)
- 4kW HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- 4kW Super HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- 12kW HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- 12kW Super HD 48" and 72" Open Array Radar Pedestal/Arrays
- legacy Digital Radomes (RD418D, RD424D)
Karellen, I have an older analog Raydome RD218, so I am told that it would have to be replaced. Thank you.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I highly recommend Hodges Marine; great prices, and fast, free shipping. I've purchased several items from them over the last couple of years and have been very pleased.

Hodges Marine