Replacing original Ray52 VHF Radio.....

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
On my 2000 340, I have a Ray52 VHF radio. The cord has deteriorated and as it is hard wired to the unit it cannot be replaced.
What I would like to do is remove it and replace it with a Handheld Unit, outside in the cockpit area, that can be attached to the existing Power and Antenna cables and eliminate the Ray52 radio all together.
Are new Raymarine VHF's (or any) radio connections compatible with the old in mast wiring harness?
Are the Handheld models stand alone units or do they need a base unit elsewhere on the boat?

If I do need a base unit I would like to relocate it to the Nav Station in the boat.
I can cut the original wires (power and antenna) in the boat (once I find the route they take) and splice a new wire to them.
That's why I am thinking a Handheld Unit would make a better option, or will I need to rewire the boat for a new radio?
This is a much needed upgrade to the boat. Anyone done this? Thank you for your help.

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
It's not likely that anything new would be compatible with 20-year old harnesses. When I upgraded to AIS a few years ago (not saying you need to), I went with a SIMRAD unit mounted at the nav station and a wireless remote for the cockpit. The remote unit can be charged via an induction unit or USB cable. You should be able to find something similar. Good luck! :beer:

Sep 26, 2008
What you have is the type of unit I would like to go with, but if all else fails, I can go with swapping out the Ray52 with a new model and leave it all in the cockpit where is is now.
The end connectors at the radio should be able to be cut off and replaced with new, if need be. But the wireless version would be ideal if possible.

Sep 26, 2008
Heard back from Icom and Raymarine. Both say the VHF Antenna Connection is the same (PL259 End Fitting). But the electrical feed is another matter.....
"The good news is that the VHF antenna connection that plugs into your old Ray52 is called a PL259 and that is standard VHF antenna connection on the modern radios. The bad news is that nothing in the last 15-ish years has used the same powercord as the old Ray52 so your powercord would need to be replaced, but you could splice into your old run if that is still in working order. One change in all VHF radios due to changing DSC and SOLAS regulations is that all radios must be tied to a GPS to "drive" the DSC functions so our Ray 53, 63, and 73 radios all have built in GPS receivers so they are self sufficient so to speak and do not need to be tied to your chart plotter. The Ray53's mic is hardwired to the radio like your radio is, but the Ray63 and 73 have a detachable mic that can be plugged in a socket on the rear of the radio, if that is the level of separation that you desire. AS the main difference between the 63 and 73 is that the 73 also has an AIS receiver and a hailer built in, the 63 is closer feature wise to what you have."
So, for all those considering changing, only the power cord needs to be spliced into with a new end for the radio you choose.
Hope this information helps, it did for me.

PL259:
IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

Original Powercord:

IMG_0684.JPG

Sep 26, 2008
I will. Just wish there was a boat show again, to see all radios up front and in person. Would save a lot of time and effort. Still waiting to hear from other radio companies, but everything is slow nowadays.
Maybe somewhere over the Rainbow.....

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
?? Is there a handheld vhf that has connections for hardwiring the power? I know the antenna should not be a problem but I have never seen a handheld unit with external power connections. Will look foreward to seeing if you find one.

Sep 26, 2008
Richard,
A friend of mine has a 2000 Beneteau 42, that has a Standard Horizon VHF and it has a plug-in Handheld Mic in the cockpit. While the VHF Radio itself in at his Nav Station inside the boat.
I always admired that feature and that‘s where I got the idea to put one on my boat. Fast forward 20 years.... and now I need a VHF.
But again, fast forward 20 years and we now live in a WIFI world, so Standard Horizon‘s idea, it seems, was on the forefront at the time.
So, on my boat, inside at the base of the mast, is the PL259 Connector which leads through a wire chase to the cockpit. My new thought is disconnect original antenna wire at the base of the mast, send a new antenna wire to my Nav Station, mount a new VHF with a Remote Mic. Leaving the original wire at the transom if needed.
See this is what happens, at least to me, when were in forced lockdown with nothing but time to think. It gets expensive and dangerous.

Last edited: