Replacing Jabsco with Raritan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Toilets designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water can use LESS flush water than sea water toilets use because the can use optional flush "buttons" that provide a choice of "only water in," dry flush, or a combination.

SaniFlex is your best hose choice for toilet discharge and tank pumpout and discharge. You can use Shields or Trident flex PVC #148 for toilet intake and tank vent lines. Regular hose clamps are ok...double clamp every connection, putting screws 180 degrees apart---or at least 90 degrees if access makes 180 impossible.

--Peggie

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
are most people using regular hose clamps?
Used the expensive clamps because they are out in the open and looked nice. No need for themon rough exterior woven hoses like Sani-Flex. The soft vinyl helical hose is where the expensive ones are needed as the vinyl slowly sqeezes through the slotted band.

Also, the inlet clean water hoses is just the regular white helical stuff, whatever it's called?
Correct, as there is no :poop: to leak through the permeable hose.

As far as fresh water to rinse out your hoses when leaving the boat for a period of time, I ran a line from the sink drain to the sea water suction hose (thanks to @Peggie Hall HeadMistress) to facilitate rinsing:

100_3932.jpg

100_3974A.JPG

Close the sea water inlet thru hull and sink thru-hull (as you always do) and you're ready to rinse.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
all connections in a sanitation system should be double clamped.
Ah yes, I knew you'd jump on that if you happened to see it.

I can't access ABYC H27 to see what "those who know" have to say about clamping hoses. Perhaps some one who has an ABYC membership could confirm (not post).

My habit has been to double clamp sea water hoses below the waterline and single above. However, when it comes to the engine, everything is double clamped because of the rocking and rolling.

When working on this delightfully cramped PITA, I was lucky to get a single clamp on these hoses let alone a double clamp. It took heat and Super Lube to get them on but nothing short of the Right Hand of God was going to get them off. It was tight back there and several of the short lengths were tried more than once. The only way they would come off was to heat the tube, slit it where it was over the barbed fitting, yank it off, and start all over again.

Maybe even single clamping was overdoing it :biggrin:!

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Here are the dimensions where the Raritan and Jabsco toilets are different. This is giving some people difficulty with the installation. It's not a direct replacement is some instances. Since many heads are in tight locations, it can make it impossible to run the waste hose to the same location as before.

Attachments

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Just throwing out a thanks for the tips. New head and lines installed and working well. Couldn't go premium with everything to stay on budget, but has worked out well and much happier (and yes, double-clamped everything :) )

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Just throwing out a thanks for the tips. New head and lines installed and working well. Couldn't go premium with everything to stay on budget, but has worked out well and much happier (and yes, double-clamped everything :) )
Were you able to source Raritan Hose on Vancouver Island or did you need to order in?

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Howdy - I was going to get it through Independent in Coombs as they are great to deal with. I needed about 15' of hose and Raritan came in 10' lengths. In the end I went with the Trident 102 as the run is fairly straight and the cost difference quite substantial (and the boat is getting new barrier/paint in a couple weeks so I'm hemorrhaging money already). It was ok to bend and install in my boat, but if the corners demanded any more bending than what I had I'd probably put out the money.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Thanks Kevy,

Stephan at Independent is an awesome dude. I think I may end up using the trident for the several short runs like between the tank and the macerator, and use the raritan for the longer lengths like the midcabin head to the tank. I'm waiting on this project until the COVID stuff settles downs though. When I do replace the hoses I want to replace both heads with electric freshwater at the same time, so it will be a boat unit or two.:)