Replacing hatch lexan instead of whole hatch

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
My forward hatch on my 1988 O’Day 192 is leaking a bit. After watching it closely I figured out that it was the adhesive between the clear lexan panel and the hatch itself that failed. For now I sealed the inside edge with butyl tape until it’s good enough weather to actually reseal it but now it got me thinking. The panel is cracked and crazed a ton and instead of just resealing it back in place maybe I can replace it.

67B1A3A8-B852-4714-9987-5CBE61DB9438.jpeg

Has anyone replaced just the Lexan? I’m thinking 1/8” smoked lexan is all I need and I can have a local machine shop cut it to size for me. On my hatch the lexan is only held in place with an adhesive so it would be easy to remove and replace (I think).

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
A local 'glass' shop can do the job and relatively inexpensively. Just be sure to specify the material (i.e. Lexan or acrylic. Tinted or clear. Desired thickness). You may want to consider 1/4 " since the hatch lens is unsupported. You could have them bevel the edges to mitigate the "proud" extension.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
A local 'glass' shop can do the job and relatively inexpensively. Just be sure to specify the material (i.e. Lexan or acrylic. Tinted or clear. Desired thickness). You may want to consider 1/4 " since the hatch lens is unsupported. You could have them bevel the edges to mitigate the "proud" extension.
Even better idea, thanks. The hatch does have a support frame underneath it, that picture was just in one of the quadrants.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Lewmar , and I would go out on a limb all manufacturers use acrylic for all ports and hatches . Lexan(polycarbonate ) scratches very easy and will look awful in months . google it ,lots of people of spent the money only to rip them out and do it again with acrylic

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Replaced the lenses in all my hatches a couple of years ago.. not too bad of a job.. I used 3/8" smoked acrylic .. Take your time, clean the frame carefully. Mask so that the sealant doesn't make a mess.. Apply a thin bead of Dow 795 sealant to the frame, center and press the new lens in, then caulk around. After a few minutes, pull the tape and smooth out the caulk.. I had the plastic folks cut the new lenses after carefully measuring.. You can make a template by putting a layer of something like brown paper on the lens and smoothing it then press down on the lens edge all the way around.. Cut this out with scissors and after checking to make sure it is correct, mail or carry the template to the plastics guys and they'll cut it out for you. Tape a piece of cardboard inside the hatch when you start so the mess stays outside.. A small shop vacuum is your friend here!.I got the lenses from tapplastics.com. A 19" by 19" piece, all cut out was about $58.
IMG_0373.JPGIMG_0374.JPGIMG_0375.JPG

Last edited:

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Thanks for the acrylic over lexan ideas, definitely going the acrylic route.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I did mine on my previous boat an '87 Ericson. The original lewmar lenses are metric and a little thicker than the US plexiglass that's sold here. It will work but the latches may need an extra washer or two. I just brought the old lense to the shop as a template. There is a great how-to on the Ericson owners forum by Christian Williams Ericson 32-3. The hardest part was getting the old glue off the frame. Gasoline seemed to work well on that.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Lewmar and last hatches I believe are 8mm or you can use 5/16 there is only .003 thousands difference

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I too did this job on our Hunter. Acrylic is the better choice. I chose to go with white somewhat translucent panels - they were "milky" enough to block direct sunlight, but the white let a lot of light through compared to the previous clear smoked lenses. The result was a much brighter space down below. It was the perfect choice for us.

The changeout is an opportunity to clean and polish the frames, and replace hinge pins if needed. The gaskets may be available from the store here. Mine were, and were an easy changeout, because they came with the adhesive already on, just like the OEM stuff. Give Dave a call and see if he can help you.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Have you called the manufacturer? I have Lewmar hatches..... I replaced two so far. Got them from Lewmar direct. Fit perfect, no adhesive needed, 15 minute job to replace.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I don’t know who made the hatch on my O’Day 192. It’s a black frame that I think is some sort of composite. Pretty sure it isn’t Lewmar.

7E8F1120-467E-48FD-A25F-D1415008BF13.jpeg

It looks like there’s a thin acrylic lens that’s just glued right on top of the frame and has beveled edges to look more flush. Should be an easy removal / reinstall. Just need to find the time to do it.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The adhesive process is critical. Even though it may be supported it still flexes and if not properly glued down it will leak when walked on. Don't skimp on this. I rebedded my hatches using the Sika method and have no issues since. Cleaner, primer (for acrylics to aluminium) and two tubes allowed me to rebed three hatches. Cost about $150 in materials.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Dow 795 seems to be the current preferred caulk with many builders. This is a silicone glazing sealant designed to hold windows in place on buildings.

Thin lenses will flex too much and develop leaks or crack. Most of the hatches I've seen use ⅜" or ½" thick acrylic.