Replacing freshwater hoses on Catalina 310

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
The majority of the freshwater system hoses on my 2002 Catalina 310 are brittle and I a bit concerned about mold. They are original equipment. I got a quote to have the yard replace all the hose runs. However, I am wondering if it might be an "easy enough" job to do myself to save some money. I would need to replace all the hoses from the freshwater tank back to the main pump under the sink, the hoses to the water heater and to the sink and freshwater flush system for the toilet (a previous owner add on). If anyone else has done this themselves, any war stories, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Just did mine (2000 310) used pex tubing. The run from under the sink to the heater was the hardest the rest no problem.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If ever I was to do this job, I would upgrade to Pex tubing as well - easy to work with, spares available cheaper at common hardware stores. Downsides are less flexibility than PVC and need to buy an expensive ($70) crimping tool. Do a search on this site for other benefits, specifically - PEX vs Reinforced PVC

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I’ve done most of our C310, hull #31. I just replaced with Shields 162. Pretty easy, at least so far. Also added a tempering valve on the water heater outlet while working back there. Nice upgrade.

Thought about PEX, but haven’t worked with it and didn’t have the tool. Not sure the advantages are that big.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
I rehosed two years ago with PEX and use SharkBite fittings in lieu of crimping. May cost more as the fittings aren't inexpensive, but easy to connect and disconnect. Crimp connection back at the heater would have been quite difficult. I keep some SB plugs and a coupling onboard in case needed. I also installed valves at each sink as the SB valves were not much more than SB to compression adapter fittings. Red for hot, blue for cold and white for tank to pump. The run from under sink to back was indeed most difficult and you'll need longer than a 10' section.

Also, it can help quiet the pump if you use a short 6" section of the original reinforced vinyl tubing between PEX and pump. The PEX is quite stiff and will conduct the pump vibrations.