Replacing foam in the cushions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
All of the cushions in my 26S are original from '93. They're ok to look at but they don't offer much padding. The last time I overnighted, I doubled up the aft berth cushions and was comfortable enough.
I went to Walmart yesterday and looked at foam. They had 4" memory foam and some thinner stuff. The 4" was about 150.00 for a queen size piece.
I had thought I wanted to pull the old foam out of the original covers and replace it with that. I'm not sure it will fit though. The pads are only about 3" thick. Then maybe even add an extra layer underneath.
I'm wondering what others have done.
Jim

Jul 18, 2010
'88 Macgregor 26D TN River
That's exactly what Im planning on doing. I think I saw a 6" memory foam at walmart. Kmart had a king size memory foam as well. Not sure of the measurements. Im not worried about it being cut to the shape of the aft berth just that its comfortable. I figure a cooler would fit nicely between the mattress the companion way ladder and the seat while under way.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Usually every community of any size will have a place that sells foam to the public as well as wholesale. We have one in my area called A-1 foam and a place like that will have foam of all thicknesses and hardness. You can get a piece the thickness you require and then cut it yourself. The perfect tool to cut foam is an electric knife like what you use for cutting your Thanksgiving turkey. Or a serrated bread knife will work too. You can use your old foam as a pattern and mark the new foam sheet with a magic marker pen. But, when you cut the foam, you want to cut it 1/2 larger all around for a perfect fit. Foam comes in different densities. You don't want something real hard as that will be uncomfortable and something too soft will compress so that you will feel the wood beneath. Something in between so it is easy on your back.

Sep 26, 2010
So, do I get foam the same thickness as the cushions or should it be thicker, and have to compress a little to fit in?
The stock foam is way too soft. I didn't go to a foam store but the memory foam at Walmart wasn't offered in different densities.
I'll do some looking to see if I can find a foam outlet.
Is there a popular firmness?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We've gotten foam from the foam factory's wholesale site....

http://www.foamdistributing.com/products/lux-hq.html

We really like the 3 inch Lux High Quality. We have it in the V-berth on the Mac and are going to use it for the v-berth in the Endeavour and just ordered a 3 inch by 82 X 86 for $122 for our bed at home and are using it now. We like it, but it is also the most firm they have. Since it is thinner than what was in the Endeavour we will have more headroom and that might help also in the Mac's aft berth along with the v-berth.

It has a very long life span and is better than any foam I've seen in stores, but is not a memory foam. We cut it like butter with a cheap elect. knife. It is cheaper to just get the full sheet and cut it to size even for smaller cushions. We used it for the....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-20.html

..... cabin cushions also.

Free freight and no tax.

We ordered cut pieces and the 'dry fast' for the cockpit....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-31-a.html

...from their other site....

http://www.foambymail.com/LR_2.html

where they will cut to size,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sep 26, 2010
We've gotten foam from the foam factory's wholesale site....

http://www.foamdistributing.com/products/lux-hq.html

We really like the 3 inch Lux High Quality. We have it in the V-berth on the Mac and are going to use it for the v-berth in the Endeavour and just ordered a 3 inch by 82 X 86 for $122 for our bed at home and are using it now. We like it, but it is also the most firm they have. Since it is thinner than what was in the Endeavour we will have more headroom and that might help also in the Mac's aft berth along with the v-berth.

It has a very long life span and is better than any foam I've seen in stores, but is not a memory foam. We cut it like butter with a cheap elect. knife. It is cheaper to just get the full sheet and cut it to size even for smaller cushions. We used it for the....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-20.html

..... cabin cushions also.

Free freight and no tax.

We ordered cut pieces and the 'dry fast' for the cockpit....

...from their other site....

http://www.foambymail.com/LR_2.html

where they will cut to size,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
Thanks,
I'll probably be ordering in a few days.
so, to make sure,
get the 3" to go inside the berth and seat cushion covers?
The reason I'm asking is because the admiral says our couch cushion foam is thicker than it is when it's inside. It's a bear to put back in after washing the covers.
Jim

Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
You might want to ensure what is get is closed cell so it won't soak up water like the open cell will.

Dec 15, 2010
MacGregor 26M Bradwell Marina, River Blackwater, Essex, England.
There's memory foam and there's 'Tempur memory foam' which is better but really expensive. My advice is, get the memory foam of your choice ( in 3" or 4") and put a layer of higher density foam under it.

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
A solution I recently stumbled upon:

1. Buy cheap open-cell foam from a supplier. Get it just a bit thinner than you need.
  2. Go buy a few 1/2" closed-cell foam sleeping pads for $3 each.
  3. Put a layer or two of the closed-cell foam under the open-cell foam.
The closed-cell foam provides a waterproof barrier so the thicker open-cell foam doesn't act like a sponge. Also, it is more rigid so it does a good job of smoothing out the cushion if, for example, you need to lay it over a bump or ridge.

If you like the feel of it, you can put the closed-cell on top, and this makes a firmer mattress, and works well to prevent hips, shoulders, etc. from digging in to the hard surface below. If you weren't concerned about trapping moisture, you could sandwich the open-cell foam between two layers of closed-cell foam, but I think this is asking for mildew.

I was able to replace all of my foam in this manner for around $80-$85, it is wicked comfortable, and does not absorb moisture that condenses on hard surfaces overnight. I like the feel more than memory foam, and it is much lighter if that's a concern.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
New closed cell foam is the best. $$$

-but I'm cheap... so I ended up paying 3x... don't do that! ;)

1st I tried a air mattress. awesome, but too tall.
2nd I tried a 1.5" memory foam topper. very soft and hot.
3rd I added a pillow top mattress pad (cal king). ok but I still bottomed out. rolling over or on my side. finally I got 4" of open cell and its pretty good. I think I might have 2 or 3 of the blue closed cell sleeping bag pads ($6) you see at WallyWorld under there. (1/4" thick)

I did cut and slip the blue sleeping pads under the cockpit seat cushions, and they helped.

I think the trick setup is high density on the bottom thin layer, med thickest layer, and low density on top, thin...

I forget where I read it, but a custom marine mattress is a sandwich, of multi density foams. good ones feel just like a 4 seasons bed and prices to match...

I should have just got new closed cell foam in the beginning. :doh:

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
The following site explains the difference between Weight (Density) and Hardness in foam. Just beware it is an Australian site and I am not sure the method of measuring hardness is the same in all countries. Weight numbers will depend on the country's measurment system - imperial or metric.
http://www.dymanfoams.com.au/techdata.php.

I am getting this crowd to do my starboard cushion foam in 35/230 ($55 cut to size) and my port side cushion foam in 35/200 ($100 cut to size), based on their recommendation. They will all be 75mm thick. I will use these as a trial before getting any others made up. The 35/230 is about 20% more in cost than the 35/200.

This crowd are major suppliers to the furniture and industrial trade. They supply foam for home funiture, industrial furiture, bus seats, etc. They had a board with 100mm squares of the various quality foams on it so you could actually feel the differences. I must admit it felt like I needed much firmer foam that what they where advising but I figure they get a lot of feedback and probably have a good idea of what most people want v's need. Obviously a lot will depend on personal preferences along the lines of preferring a hard, firm or soft bed matress.

If you can locate a major industrial foam manufacturer nearby is may be worth having a talk with them.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks,
I'll probably be ordering in a few days.
so, to make sure,
get the 3" to go inside the berth and seat cushion covers?
The reason I'm asking is because the admiral says our couch cushion foam is thicker than it is when it's inside. It's a bear to put back in after washing the covers.
Jim
First off any of us giving you an answer is a crap shoot for you. We all have different preferences, so it it real hard for me to tell someone else what will work best for them.

The close cell foam won't soak up water, but it is way to hard for us. It is like the stuff they make PFD's and wrestling mats out of. I see no need for it in the cabin as it shouldn't get wet there. In the cockpit yes, but for us it is too hard to be sitting on all day, day after day on a trip.

For the cockpit we have been really happy with the ....

.... dryfast in 3 inch thickness that we bought...

http://www.foamreplacement.com/seatcushion/outdoor.html

If it does get wet it dries very fast and it is so much better than the soggy cushions we had that were original. Also it just doesn't seem to be wet from dew like the old ones. We also used...

...an open fabric that helps the whole process. This foam is stiff when you sit on it, but you kind of sink in and we have found it comfortable for day after day use in the cockpit and is what we will use along with the same fabric in the Endeavour when we make new cockpit cushions for it.

We would not like it to sleep on, but I would use it for the cabin cushions.

We used the 3 inch in the V-berth and for the cabin seats. We used the highest density lux high quality they had that I mentioned in the other post. We love it for the boat and as I said before or now using it at home also. We have a sheet of plywood over the bed's two mattresses and the lux on top of that and are sleeping really well now both places. But as I said we love it someone else might not. We like a firm mattress.

3 inches of the same has been good in the cabin for Ruth, but I don't like it quite as well there. I'm 6-1 and 160 lbs. and have a boney butt. We spend ever night and some days in the cabin so are on those cushions a lot. For the Endeavour the cabin cushions will be the 3 inch lux like in the berth since they also make into a bed, but for the cushion at the Nav. Station I'm going to use the 3 inch with 1 inch of the dryfast under it and might do the same for the other cabin seats. That will make it act like what some of the others have mentioned.

I don't have my boney butt going through the 3 inch dryfast in the cockpit, but we don't want that as the top foam inside. The Foam Factory will send you samples but they are so small that it is hard to tell how they will act.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I went a different way and installed something called R Gard under the stock foam.

I used 1 inch and just slipped it under the stock foam and it was way better than the stock stuff but dont walk on it.

R Gard is a sheet of styrofoam with a vapor film on both sides so you just cut it with a hack saw blade, wipe the loose little balls off and insert under the stock foam, what a difference.

It floats real good too!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
One other suggestion I would make for someone that is replacing the foam in the V-berth or aft berth is to cut....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-5.html

.... the foam side to side vs. the factory lengthwise. We did that in the V-berth and would do it in the aft berth if we had foam there. I think TB also did that. It is lots easier to lay on and also makes getting to ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/inside-16-a.html

.....the access hatches under the bedding. Just lift the section of foam up over the hatch you want to get to.

Cut the foam so that a cut isn't on a pressure point, your shoulder, hips or knees and you will never feel the joint cuts. Note above that our V-berth is in 3 sections. That might not work on the stock length V-berth. 2 might be better,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah,

Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
We just added the $150 memory foam we got at Costco under the original cushions and love it! My only issue is that it is damp on the underside if left down, so baring another solution, we just leave it up vertically against the liner when gone.

I would like to find a method to have air circulate under it so the moisture wouldn't build...

Jeff

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
This is what a lot of sailors use

Dri-DekCategories : Maintenance: Flooring: Dri-Dek

enlarge image

Dri-Dek ® Deck Tile

Creates a Ventilated Surface to Keep Gear Dry

Dimensions: 12" x 12"

Specify Color

Item #: 752942Manufacturer: KendallShipping Weight: 1.00 Lbs.

Our Price:$4.99
Please Make A Selection Tile / Almond ( $4.99 ) * In stock*Tile / Blue ( $4.99 ) * In stock*Tile / White ( $4.99 ) * In stock* Quantity
Description
Dri-Dek® is an extremely durable, ventilated surface designed to keep stowed gear dry and free from mold, mildew, and musty odors. Just interlock the rigid yet flexible 12" x 12" tiles to cover an area of any size. Add Dri-Dek® tile edges and corners for a finished look. Tiles can also be cut with a utility knife for a custom fit.
Features:
  • Each square has a perforated, non-skid surface
  • Supportive feet on the bottom of the tiles allow water to drain away from stowed gear
  • Oxy-B1 vinyl material is resistant to bacteria, mold, and mildew
  • Durable tiles are flame and chemical resistant
  • Color will not fade in the sun
  • Easy to clean - just spray down with the hose
Applications:
  • Ideal for lining the bottoms of your compartments, cabinets, or lockers
  • Use beneath bedding and cushions
  • Keep dock lines, stowed cushions, and life preservers smelling fresher and lasting longer
  • Put beneath anchors, gas tanks, or loose equipment to protect wood and fiberglass surfaces
  • Use under sensitive electronic equipment to absorb the impact from rough seas
  • Outfit the helm - Dri-Dek is ideal for relieving the back-breaking pain caused by piloting all day long

We just added the $150 memory foam we got at Costco under the original cushions and love it! My only issue is that it is damp on the underside if left down, so baring another solution, we just leave it up vertically against the liner when gone.

I would like to find a method to have air circulate under it so the moisture wouldn't build...

Jeff

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
We just bought foam for our S. Followed Sumner's advice about using the FoamFactory, and had a great experience. The guy who was cutting my foam even called me because he had a question about what I had ordered. Price was great.

However, we bought the 3" thickness of the plain ol' cheap stuff foam. We got it home, let it sit out several days after unwrapping it (very important to let it flex back to full size!) and then cut it to fit. We did not have any cushions in our boat (long story, don't ask), so we are starting from scratch and didn't want to invest heavily until we had a chance to use the boat and the cabin a lot and find out how it all works, how it feels, and what we wanted to change. So far we don't have the cushions covered, but that'll be coming soon enough...we spent some time laying around on the foam uncovered to see how well it supported us, and it seemed to do fine.

Cuts great with an electric knife...just remember to keep it perpendicular to the foam (if you tilt it, it cuts on an angle just as fast so you can't tell...)

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
We wrapped our cushions in dacron before installing in the covers. Makes it easier and breathes better too.

Attachments

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Seriously, do you run an upholstery store? They look great...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.