Replacing datamarine transducers with Raymarine?

Jan 21, 2018
Ericson 30+ Milford
I'm in the process of doing a refit on my '86 Ericson 30+ including updating electronics. I am likely to go with a Raymarine system built around an Axiom 9+ MFD with wireless wind, DST, and connection to my X5 autopilot.

Wondering if anyone has experience replacing the Datamarine Depth or Speed transducers with a more modern transducer. Is it as simple as sliding the old 'ducers out of the through hull housing and sliding the new ones in or am I going to have to replace the through hull(s) all together?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Wondering if anyone has experience replacing the Datamarine Depth or Speed transducers with a more modern transducer. Is it as simple as sliding the old 'ducers out of the through hull housing and sliding the new ones in or am I going to have to replace the through hull(s) all together?
You will probably have to replace the through hull. Many of the older transducers were narrower than the new ones. This is not a particularly difficult job, since preserving the through hull not a priority.

Perhaps the easiest way to remove the through hull is to drive a tapered plug into from the outside, then use a hole saw to cut the new hole. See this article.

Feb 12, 2022
Westerly Fulmar Brudgeport
Too late for your issue, but I'm replacing a 30-40 y/o Datamarine system with a Raymarine i70s system. To get the old DM transducer out, I just pulled out the pin and yanked. The RM transducer fits perfectly in the DM housing, which has the same threading as the RM lock nut. Now to figure out wtf SeaTalk is/does

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Not sure if Raymarine make transducers, i think they are all Airmar, which might have some connection to Raymarine. Its what i use for all my transducer and been very pleased apart from the rubber flapper valve has broken off twice for the DST 800.

Feb 12, 2022
I am in this situation, I replaced a Datamarine S200DL transducer with the Raymarine transducer that comes as part of the i70s package. Here’s the problem, the DM transducer is held down by a pin that goes thru the housing. The RM transducer fits and screws down, but water leaks thru those 2 holes (I realized this when I dropped the boat in the water). My temporary fix was 4200 to fill the holes and wrapping electrical tape on the outside of the housing. Yes, a temporary fix til I figure out a permanent one

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
Next time you haul, it might be really easy. I replaced a sensor thru-hull this spring... I was not looking forward to it, as was expecting to have to cut the old-one out in pieces. I read somewhere a recommendation that you pull the sensor and the backing nut/washer/gasket from the housing, then simply step on it.

Worked perfectly, the firm, consistent pressure was no match for the 4200... slow dropped right out.

Less than 10 minutes to remove, clean-up, mask/prep, apply sealant, and install the new thru-hull. Was a pleasant surprise how easy it was!

Feb 12, 2022
Thanks, I need to do a quick haul this summer to replace the cutlass bearing so I'll try that. Nothing (searching the memory banks, yes nothing) ever goes according to plan on a sailboat, hoping for a first. The icing on a cake was that at launch I also discovered the auto function went out in my Rule bilge pump so I had to do a daily schelp out to the mooring for 2w until the warranty replacement arrived from Mexico