• On September 1st, Maine Sail suffered a major hemorrhagic stroke. One of the most generous members of our sailing community, he has helped thousands. Now it's our turn. Click here to learn more

Replacing datamarine transducers with Raymarine?

Jan 21, 2018
Ericson 30+ Milford
I'm in the process of doing a refit on my '86 Ericson 30+ including updating electronics. I am likely to go with a Raymarine system built around an Axiom 9+ MFD with wireless wind, DST, and connection to my X5 autopilot.

Wondering if anyone has experience replacing the Datamarine Depth or Speed transducers with a more modern transducer. Is it as simple as sliding the old 'ducers out of the through hull housing and sliding the new ones in or am I going to have to replace the through hull(s) all together?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Wondering if anyone has experience replacing the Datamarine Depth or Speed transducers with a more modern transducer. Is it as simple as sliding the old 'ducers out of the through hull housing and sliding the new ones in or am I going to have to replace the through hull(s) all together?
You will probably have to replace the through hull. Many of the older transducers were narrower than the new ones. This is not a particularly difficult job, since preserving the through hull not a priority.

Perhaps the easiest way to remove the through hull is to drive a tapered plug into from the outside, then use a hole saw to cut the new hole. See this article.