Replacing Cabin Sole

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
This is obviously not practical with a boat sole. It is doubtful there is any chemical that could be wiped on and then wiped off and have any effect against the amazingly indestructible Silicone.
Correct. They apparently are all meant to be left on for a time period.

I noticed there are gel versions of Silicone digestants. Just like gelled paint stripper I assume.(which works on almost any surface and wouldn't run into the bilge, so you can put it on and leave it)

Something with low viscosity and low VOCs would probably work well. If I remember correctly one I found in a quick search had those properties.

I would contact the manufacturers for advice. The boat manufacturer if they still exist would likely know which type of silicone was used for installing the original sole covering. Then a company that makes the digestants would be better able to give accurate advice.
I always say "ask the pros first"

"Digesil Gel is formulated to a gel viscosity for application to vertical surfaces"

"Dicone NC15 Gel is safer and more efficient than solutions often used for these applications."

"For thin layers of silicone, rub with a cloth wetted with SwanTek Silicone Remover"

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I think you are doing your due diligence. I think at the end of the day we need to understand that you aren't building a piano you won't have to play. Now if you were going to paint it then I'd have a difference stance on it.