Replacing binnacle, 1984 Pearson 34

Nov 5, 2019
Pearson 34 Alameda
I'm seriously looking at replacing my binnacle. Changing from older Edson to new Edson Classic series. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering what issues you ran into in the change that make it complex. Maybe relating to fitting new binnacle to sole, connectus with existing steering gear, etc. thank you.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
im Sure once you have the dimensions of new unit you’ll be able to lay it out pretty easily. I am not familiar with new unit but I’m sure Edson can give you the ease of exchanging the two.

Good luck!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@CaptainNatasha pictures of what you have and what you are examining would help.

Your boat and it's limitations are relevant. How does your current binnacle sit in your cockpit? Most of these units attach to the deck in a similar manner. How it does the steering inside the binnacle may be more of an issue?

Aug 9, 2011
Pearson 30 Chicago
Have you talked to Edson about completely rebuilding your unit? They can plug and play specific parts that you might want to upgrade, and in the end everything should fit with a minimum of fuss, quite possibly at some savings. I don't know whether they do this,but their support (it's been a few years now) when I replaced my tiller with a pedestal was phenomenal when I ran into a few problems. Just a thought.....

Nov 5, 2019
Pearson 34 Alameda
Have you talked to Edson about completely rebuilding your unit? They can plug and play specific parts that you might want to upgrade, and in the end everything should fit with a minimum of fuss, quite possibly at some savings. I don't know whether they do this,but their support (it's been a few years now) when I replaced my tiller with a pedestal was phenomenal when I ran into a few problems. Just a thought.....
thanks, I've been in touch with Edson. Exceptional customer service!! Still waiting for some parts to change both binnacle and shifter. So far, looks like the hardest part may be getting the old bolts out that hold base of binnacle. And, maybe bolts that hold steering cable to radial drive. Fingers crossed.