Replacement of Standing Rigging

Jan 15, 2015
Hunter Legend 430 Leros, Greece
Does anyone know how we can get a set of standing rigging for a Hunter Legend 430? The boat's in Greece and we need to get rigging made without removing the current rigging.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This is a bit of an open question, leaving lots of room to guess your needs/intentions.
You can buy approximate lengths of cable in the size for your boat. Then attach fittings like Hi-MOD Compression Fittings to the cables dockside and try to hoist them up and match them to your boats rigging. There are lots of ways this can go wrong. But it is possible. To get approximate lengths and materials check here at the rigging option of the SBO store or contact one of the online riggers like Rigging Only.
Fitting new rigging while the mast is up is a recurring night mare waiting to happen. It may work, but may not. Taking the mast down, working on the rigging, matching the lengths while not hanging from a bosun's chair in the long run is much preferred. Perhaps ordering enough cable on a roll and the parts to build the fittings is what you are after.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm assuming that this is an insurance issue?

JS call most of it; it is possible but risky to have a set for a boat that size made to a spec that may not match your boat. Ideally you could turn this over to a local rigger and have them make a bespoke set after doing their own measurements. I'm assuming you thought of this; but Leros Marina looks rather full-service; perhaps an email to them might sort you?

While their economy might be in shambles; I have always found the work of Greek marine professionals to be top shelf.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Check with Seco South in Largo Florida. They rigged many Hunters and might have the exact measurements.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It all comes down who made the mast. That would help the SBO the most. IF Z Spar, Kenyon Isomat depending on age, Seco South made the rigging. If Selden, then selden made the rigging. You will need to supply the mast mfg. and year the boat was built for actual help. Even the hull number would be good to supply as well. SBO can help you here.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
"we need to get rigging made without removing the current rigging"
Do you need to have the rigging manufactured and shipped before you remove the mast and then once in hand lower the mast and reinstall, or do you also intend to try to replace it "piece by piece" while the mast is up (that is, never lower the mast at all)?
If the former, can you go up the mast and measure each wire, order an exactly matched set, and then wait until you have it to use a yard to help install the new rigging?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but there is a thread on this forum from 2012 about the fiberglass chainplate failing on a 430 leading to a dismasting, $35K to repair (including new spars and rigging).
That said... You always have to assume the worst if you don't know specifics about the maintenance history. Assuming that it still has the original rigging that it is older than the recommended 10 year replacement cycle for SS Wire Rope, and that if maintenance was neglected you will have seized cotter pins or other hardware due to dissimilar metal corrosion. With that in mind you really want to unstep the mast to replace the rigging... I wouldn't want to be up the mast in a bosun chair fighting with crusty seized hardware, total nightmare. If a rigger ran into such problems trying to replace one shroud at a time, the labor hours would eventually out pace the cost of unstepping the mast and doing all the work on terra firma.
I'm no expert in buying spool wire and hardware from Europe but I can only guess that, due to the economic situation in Greece, the opportunity exists to save money purchasing supplies in bulk via advance price contract and having it available on the ground when you land. Like Jack Daw mentioned, you'll get top notch service in Greece if you have a local rigger do on-site measurements and swage your fittings right there.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am guessing the VAT tax and the inflation in the economy may be playing havoc with the cost of goods. The nice element is the value of the dollar. It's a crazy time over there.