Replacement of Cleats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

Hi, I have a 1986 catalina 27 and am thinking of replacing the stock cleats from the factory with bigger ones that will handle 1/2 inch line. Has anyone done this and if so, can you tell me the results? Thanks.

R

Robert Fischer

same problem

I have the same boat and have been looking into this problem. I have not been able to find 8 inch cleats with the same mounting hole pattern as the 6 inch ones on there now. I don't want to fill and redrill the holes. I hope someone answers your question. Good luck.

B

Bob Booth

Use Clam Cleats

I took off the old cleats and filled one of the two holes. To fill the old holes, I used epoxy to fill the hole within 1/16" of the top and then used gel coat patch for the last. The holes are virtually invisible. I bought two new clam cleats and drilled one new hole for it. I now have two effective cleats instead of the old "bollard" cleats. They are much easier to adjust and use for trimming. I also took the winch off the mast and relocated it to use it for the halyards which are now led aft to the cockpit. It works great and I can adjust halyard tension from the cockpit, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.