Replacement Muffler for P36-2 & P38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
If you see a trickle of water from the limber hole above the shaft log on your 1986 thru 1990 Pearson 36-2 or P38, it is a good probability that a bottom weld on the stainless steel water lift muffler is corroded and is leaking. This happened to us this past summer while on a two month cruise. But don’t fret, there is a relatively inexpensive replacement for the muffler.

Centek Industries, a major manufacturer of fiberglass, water lift mufflers has the dimensions and calculations for the Pearson muffler and can supply a new unit in about two to three weeks. Here is what you will need to know:

Centek Industries, Inc
116 Plantation Oak Dr
Thomasville, Ga. 31779

800-950-7653

www.centekindustries.com

Part number: X06258

Description: 2” X 2” Vernalift, Deaton Yacht Service
(Note, Deaton was the first yard to have one made in 2005).

This is a special order so it must be ordered by a yard or retailer. Centek only sell’s through distributors.

The price in July, 2008 was $265 plus shipping, about $20.

INSTALLATION:

This first picture shows the old muffler, upside down. The pipe on top is the inlet pipe that enters the bottom of the muffler. The pipe on the side is the outlet.

The inlet pipe may need to have about two inches cut off to permit the unit to clear the support beam as it is removed. One or both of the fuel lines may need to be disconnected from the fuel tank for clearance on removal. The new muffler is smaller so it will fit into the boat with the fuel lines in place.

The second picture is of the new muffler, also upside down. Note that the inlet pipe is shorter than the original. This will entail replacing the exhaust hose from the engine with one about twelve inches longer. We found that hose made by Vetus is much more pliant and will make the two bends needed very easy.

The third picture shows the strut backing plate, located under the muffler. One of the major benefits of the new muffler is now being able to see the backing plate with the muffler in place. We found that we did have a “weeping” of water from the plate seal when the engine was running at cruising speed.

The last picture is of the new muffler in place. There is enough clearance to tighten the hose clamps on the inlet pipe as you set the unit in place. The clamps can also be inspected with the muffler in place.

The Centek muffler is round and is a smaller volume than the original and I was concerned that the sound would be louder. It was of no concern. The Centek muffler is as quiet or softer at the transom outlet and has less “rumble” in the galley area next to the companion way steps.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Attachments

Last edited:

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
The part number shown in my post was incorrect. The correct number is:

X06258

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ariel

Amere

Apr 13, 2006
Pearson P-38 Westbrook, CT
Muffler

Two years ago we had more than weeping, the muffler was leaking big time! After getting back to our marina (fortunately we were able to sail most of the way) I removed the muffler and had the yard reweld it and do a pressure test. Cost me about $400 and I had to re-install it myself. Had I been aware of the Centek muffler I probably would have gone with that. Thanks for posting that I will store that information away for any future possibilities.

Bill

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Re: Muffler

Mine started leaking slightly at the end of the season on my 1986 P36-2.....the CenteK cost less than $250 and it looks great. I am finally putting it in this weekend! Adding a Centek 90 degree elbow for the exhaust hose to ease preasure off the engine. Once again Thanks Dave!

Greg
Four the Soul

Jun 15, 2009
2 36-2 Perth Amboy, NJ
Dave:
Thank you so much for the info. We have had a leak since last year and we have been loathe to fix it. Our yard person said we had to remove the fuel tank and it would be a very costly operation so we have been pumping away. The muffler is on order!

Susan and Roland Straten
Regardless
1985 Pearson 36-2

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I installed mine before this season.....easy to do and works like a charm! I also used a 90 degree fiberglass ellbow (same company) for the exhaust hose leading from the engine so the hose does not need to be bent 90 degrees putting pressure on the engine...

Good luck!

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Susan & Roland,

You should not need to remove the fuel tank to remove the muffler. Each boat had some differance in the placement of the fuel tank and you may need to cut off some of the inlet pipe to the muffler to wiggle the muffler out but the old muffler is scrap anyway. The new fiberglass muffler is smaller and will fit in easily. I had to cut the inlet line but others did not.

If you have any questions please ask. We are in port for the next week at least, then if this great weather holds, we must continue to explore the Chesapeake.

Dave
s/v Ariel

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Dave....Oh the pain you two must suffer with your explorations!!! Have a great time. We are off on the 19th to Block and a few places in between.

Greg

Amere

Apr 13, 2006
Pearson P-38 Westbrook, CT
I agree with Dave, it was an easy job to get the muffler out, didn't have to cut anything, it is heavy (full of water) though. Once repaired getting it back in was no problem either. Greg, are you arriving in Block on the 19th if so, too bad, we are departing for home (after 2 weeks and going as far as Chatham) that day.

Bill

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Bill,

Sorry for the late reply. We actually got to Block on the 20th...had a great sail over from Fishers Island. We were lucky enough to experience a Block island storm on the 23rd (Thursday) that blew 50 mph sustained with heavy rain. Was up until 4am watching boats dragging anchors throughout the harbor. We were on a town mooring off Champlins and were almost hit 5 times.... very crazy but we faired well. Coasties and Harbor master did a great job that night with several small boats and 2 large boats in the harbor helping out.

How was your trip? Think we are heading east in September for a week... maybe hit Shelter Island as we have never been there. Maybe next summer we should have a Pearson randevous somewhere.....

Greg

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Greg,

Our thoughts for next year are to sail to NYC, LIS and Newport areas in early June to mid July. (We want to be back into Chesapeake Bay for hurricane saeson). Your idea for a rendezvous sounds good. Can we do it then? Are you thinking for P36-2's or all Pearsons?

Dave
s/v Ariel

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Hey Dave....Would love to have a Pearson gathering or just a P36-2, whatever would work. Love seeing what people have done in upgrades. maybe it could be set up at a marina proximate to anybody that responds...

Also, I was going to write to you about a situation I am currently having. The baby stay interior rod support on my boat was leaking. I attempted to remove / repair the entire assembly prior to splash, however the upper backing plate of the rod above the small wood panel on the ceiling is made of aluminum and has fused with the U bolt coming through it. In the process of putting the bolts back on I must have adjusted it too tight as I am getting some extreme creeking from my bulkhead when sailing. Also there is a slight deflection in the cabin top where the U bolt exist the cabin top. I know I tightened it to a similar possition, however I must have done something. I am hoping you could help with a measurment from the cabin sole to the bottom of the aluminum backing plate of the rod. The backing plate on my boat is a rectangular peice about 3/4 inch thick with two holes for the nuts of the U bolt. It was hard to undo the nuts as they were recessed in the backing plate so what I did after getting hem out was to put some washers in the holes prior to the nuts so that I could deal with the nuts easily. Wondering if I over tightened and changed the way the boat naturally changes after rig is tightened and hull settles in the water.

How is the sailing this season??

Thanks!

Greg

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Greg,
The dim from the bottom of the plate to the sole on Ariel is 74 5/8 inches. I'm not sure that that is a meaningfull dimension as the tollerances on the boat during manufacture are +/- 1/4 inch at least. I also have a slight dimple in the deck under the u-bolt. I just ignore it as it has not changed in the eighteen years we have had the boat.

I eliminated most of the creaking with two things. First I put SparTite in the mast ring. The old teak wedges made a squeak and would work themselves out. The uniform force around the mast ring solved all that and also some of the creaks in other parts of the deck structure. The second big contributer of creaks was the attachment of the main bulkhead to the deck liner flange. I removed the trim strip in the forward cabin and sprayed Sail Lube between the bulkhead and the fiberglass flange, tightened the fastening screws, sanded the trim strip so that it does not rub the fiberglass and now almost all the creaking is gone. I have to add more Sail Lube and tighten the screws every few years to keep it quiet. I alse had a squeek between the wood trim plates around the baby stay rod and between the bulkhead and the trim plates. Sanding the plates to reduce the contact between everything stopped that. I suspect that the new squeeks in your boat are in the trim plates around the rod.

We have just cruised the mid Chesapeake Bay this summer. The weather has been just perfect untill last week when the hot summer finally arived. Friends that sailed to Block Is. had cool rain and strong thunderstorms every day so our decision to stay in the bay was a good one.

As I said before, we hope to be in the Sound next summer and hopefully we can get a Pearson gathering organized. We need a new thread to talk about this. You want to start one? I don't want to hijack your idea.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Jan 29, 2010
Hunter 38 Ocean Gate, NJ
Dave - I'm new to this site but wanted to thank you for quickly solving a problem I've been working on for two years and which you discussed here a year and a half ago.

The muffller on my P38 has been leaking. I discussed welding it but the yard thought it would cause as much damage as it fixed. I looked around for a replacement and even tried Centek but didn't know about the special order and the part number. I've ordered it - now at $335 - and hope to install it before spring.

Now I need to find a bow rail - see my recent post.

Thanks,
Ken

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Ken,

Welcome to this site. Where is Ocean Gate?

We will be sailing to NYC and beyond this summer. If you are nearby and would like, mabey we could get together and compare notes about the boats.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Jan 29, 2010
Hunter 38 Ocean Gate, NJ
Dave - Ocean Gate, NJ is at the mouth of the Toms River, which is near the northwestern corner of Barnegat Bay. Its in a great location for either sailing the river or going south on the bay. The bay is shallow but if you know what you're doing there is plenty of room and usually has good wind. We are about 2 hours from Manasquam Inlet and 3 hours to Barnegat Inlet. Myers Hole, just inside Barnegat Inlet, is a good anchorage when coming up the east coast. I usually do a circumnavigation of Long Island in mid to late June. If you're in the area, we could meet at Myers Hole, at Block Island or somewhere else in the Sound.

I received the muffler yesterday. Another winter project!

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,

Welcome to this site. Where is Ocean Gate?

We will be sailing to NYC and beyond this summer. If you are nearby and would like, mabey we could get together and compare notes about the boats.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Thanks for the info Ken. If we go north again this summer I will let you know and see if we can meet.

Dave,
s/v Ariel

Status
Not open for further replies.