Replacement Muffler for 1984 Hunter 34

Aug 11, 2020
Hunter 34 South Kingston
HI all,

Our Hunter 34 Muffler has completely corroded away. The previous owner tried glassing a new port connection, but his glassing job didn't hold up. See image attached.

Does anyone know of a replacement muffler we can purchase? The old Muffler was made by Marine Muffler Corp, and they are now out of business.

The dimensions of the muffler were 6"dia x 20" overall length x 2" ports.

Thank you!

Attachments

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Marine Muffler went out of business around 2008. One of their brands was "Naqualift".

Do you need the inlet and outlet at opposite ends of the chamber? Is that the only way this will fit? If not, any standard silencer/muffler with 2" ports should work. I'd buy one used off Ebay. They are fiberglass these days, so unless you blow one up, the next one should last.

Aug 11, 2020
Hunter 34 South Kingston
Yeah the inlet and outlet have to be on opposite ends of the chamber for the muffler to fit the space.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
PO should have scuffed up the blue material a little better, might have held... my $0.02

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
The muffler (Centek, I think) on my boat is nearly impossible to reach under the fuel tank. It has a drain on it for winterizing. If you fail to drain it it could fail if the seawater inside freezes. Since I cannot reach the drain I charge it with pink antifreeze by running that through the engine pump instead of raw water with the engine running before shutting it all down for the winter.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I installed a centek on my last boat..... they have a great inventory of plans for different boats or you can mail your old one to them and ask them to fabricate a new one identical. Great product

Greg

Aug 11, 2020
Hunter 34 South Kingston
Thanks everyone! This is how we resolved it:

We did a lot of research and discovered that there weren't many options to replace our muffler, given the dimensional restrictions. The possible solutions that we found were:

Centek: They could build us a new one to match our dimensions. It would take about 2-3 weeks to build. Est. $450

Vetus: They offer a similar size muffler. The only issue was finding a dealer to provide it, and then figuring out shipping times, as it would be shipping internationally.

Fixing the existing muffler: This is the route we went. We got ahold of Mark at Mid Coast Marine. He's located just outside Atlantic City. He was amazing and completely re-glassed the muffler to look better than new. He picked it up and dropped it off in under 3 days. Cost: $400

He also, looked at our engine and helped us with some transmission work as well as our fuel filters. HIGHLY RECOMMEND MARK. If you're in the Atlantic City area and need some help, check out Mid Coast Marine.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks for the note on your solution.. some of us may have to do that work too..
I thought that using a conventional Vernalift, relocated to the back of the starboard locker might be a solution