Replacement M-25 Universal engine instrument panel?

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Howdy folks-
So my aged instrument panel (amps/ fuel, no tach) panel for my M-25 is showing it's age & I'm in a quandary. I've read about the dangers of the old ampmeter, myignition switch is getting flaky and who knows about the rest of it. I've searched the internet for a replacement panel & have called our old standby a D&R. No joy. I could re-build the whole thing w/ new panel & gauges & glo-plug but have way too many other sailboat issues I am already immersed in. Any suggestions or wisdom in such an endeavor?
Best,
Lou in Annapolis

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I spent a whole $3.00 on the panel for my C36 and M25. The gauges were the expensive part.

Ditch the amp meter too much line loss. I put 4 pin automotive relays in for both glow plugs and starter relay. Glow plugs pull 36 amps, the starter selonoid takes 32A to throw out the bendix and 12A to keep it out. Both are more than I want going 30-40’ (there and back again).

Most ignition switches are only good for 10A.
There will be an article how I wired things in the next issue of the Mainsheet.

I will send the 3D file to anyone who might want it. I’ll even cut one for material and postage to any C36-IA members - drop me a pm on their website.

0CB66A8C-A054-4047-ABEB-78A0335FDFC5.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les’s new panel is really great. The modifications make it easy on the skipper to start the engine. And it is a whole lot quieter.

Aug 7, 2015
Wow, Les, looks very nice! Can you tell me more about the relay's used? Would greatly appreciate any info you are able to send. Unfortunately, I think my O'day would be insulted to sport a Catalina panel just as a CAT would not want to sport an O'Day sticker.

Lou
louismk@verizon.net

May 20, 2016
Just google 4 pin 40A relay and you’ll see tons of options. I used a 5 pin 40/60 waterproof one behind the panel to silence the alarm while the glow plugs were on. I used metal tab ones in the engine bay. They cost ~$6 ea. You can use 5 pin for everything but I had som 4 pin kicking around where I didn’t need a NC connection. The 40/60 refers to the max amperage on pin 87 and 87a respectively.

May 20, 2016
Unfortunately, I think my O'day would be insulted to sport a Catalina panel

Lou
louismk@verizon.net
It’s not a Catalina panel — those sell for $140 bare and as I said this is about $3 in abs. But it does show how we boaters can use maker tools around the boat. BTW Mahalo is the name of my boat. I cut another panel without the name for future owners.

Les

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It’s not a Catalina panel — those sell for $140 bare and as I said this is about $3 in abs. But it does show how we boaters can use maker tools around the boat. BTW Mahalo is the name of my boat. I cut another panel without the name for future owners.

Les
I think he was referring to the Catalina panel I found on eBay and posted above.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Don't replace the panel, just replace the gauges and switches. Change the ammeter to a voltmeter. Very easy but a little time consuming if you take the time to clean up all connections. Gauges are about 30 - 50 bucks retail.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Don't replace the panel, just replace the gauges and switches. Change the ammeter to a voltmeter. Very easy but a little time consuming if you take the time to clean up all connections. Gauges are about 30 - 50 bucks retail.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
While you are in there, you will want to create a wiring diagram of your primary electrical system. It should be a LIVING document and change every time that you make a change. This is what I have for my O'day 35 with a Universal M25 & an Admiral's control panel:

Attachments

Aug 7, 2015
Super helpful! As an aside, I'm just in the process of re-wiring my mast and taking it back to the main electrical panel, what a ratz nest! Anyone have any pics of a clean install?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I bought my anchor light, foredeck light, steaming and running lights switches back to a fused switch (sub) panel that I installed in the cockpit. I also converted all of the fixtures to LEDs from MarineBeam. I kept a single breaker and labeled it "Nav Lights" and used the breaker spots that I freed up for other purposes. I no longer have to describe the breaker that I want the crew to switch to "on" when I am at the helm. I simply switch on Nav Lights breaker if I will be out in reduced visibility or at night, and I activate the lights that I need when I need them,

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I've mentioned the sub panel in a bunch of places, so I thought that I should show some pictures to document it. This is what it looks like:
20180613_125644.jpg

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
And this is what the main breaker panel looks like;
20180613_125511.jpg

Note that there are TWO unused breaker locations.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
I really like the split covers on the hot buss bars, I’ll have to look into that. And wow you even have a few spare breakers. I wish I had a few more.

Nice

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I've mentioned the sub panel in a bunch of places, so I thought that I should show some pictures to document it. This is what it looks like:
I like that idea. You are one of few who has followed through on it! Nice job. I always thought it was so old fashioned, the common arrangement of breaker panels and switches on sailboats. Switches should be where the operator wants to operate them, as with your new setup.

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
While you are in there, you will want to create a wiring diagram of your primary electrical system. It should be a LIVING document and change every time that you make a change. This is what I have for my O'day 35 with a Universal M25 & an Admiral's control panel:
That is artwork!!!