Replacement bulbs

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
As noted in other threads ... when you ask "what fixture is on my 2012 Bene?" you are assuming that the manufacturing of sailboats is like autos. Boat manufacturers do not have the buying power of auto makers, and view light fixtures (and many other things) as interchangeable, so install the best-priced things they can get that year. Also, there is not the same litigation threats that automakers have, which is what leads to the excessive tracking of exactly what is in your car (think about how each automaker knows they installed Takata airbags on certain individual cars). You may get lucky to find a Bene 2012 owner with the same lights originally installed, and not changed by other PO's. Best advice is to put eyes on what you have, and replace that bulb, or the entire fixture as rust on contacts is a likely cause of failed lights (only 9 years, so unlikely in your case.)

• Helpful
Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
As noted in other threads ... when you ask "what fixture is on my 2012 Bene?" you are assuming that the manufacturing of sailboats is like autos. Boat manufacturers do not have the buying power of auto makers, and view light fixtures (and many other things) as interchangeable, so install the best-priced things they can get that year. Also, there is not the same litigation threats that automakers have, which is what leads to the excessive tracking of exactly what is in your car (think about how each automaker knows they installed Takata airbags on certain individual cars). You may get lucky to find a Bene 2012 owner with the same lights originally installed, and not changed by other PO's. Best advice is to put eyes on what you have, and replace that bulb, or the entire fixture as rust on contacts is a likely cause of failed lights (only 9 years, so unlikely in your case.)
Im finding that out. I had figured a kit would arrive at the dealer and they would assemble the boat. That seems to not be the case.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
AH- the rivet trick is the type I was wondering about.
Ron, that steaming light on the 323 mast was a Perko brand, and the only way to change the bulb was to drill out the rivets holding the fixture to the mast so that it would be possible to remove the screws from the back of the fixture to get at the bulb itself.

I changed to an Aqua Signal fixture that included a deck light. I used a SPDT switch to toggle between the deck light bulb and the steaming light, because I ran out of room in the DC panel for another switch.

I am not aware of a specific height requirement on the mast for the steaming light. Most that I have seen around here have been just above the lower set of spreaders.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ron, that steaming light on the 323 mast was a Perko brand, (but) I changed to an Aqua Signal fixture that included a deck light. I used a SPDT switch to toggle between the deck light bulb and the steaming light, because I ran out of room in the DC panel for another switch.

(I am not aware of a specific height requirement on the mast for the steaming light. Doug)
Doug, when I redid ALOT of my 2006 B323, I redid the interior/cabin mast wiring. Me, also neeing more breakers, ran one +12 from ONE breaker to the interior wood panel at the top of the mast to add ONE spst for the anchor light, PLUS a spdt for the running/or/deck light. Then, each light had it's own OEM wire up the mast.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I was in the boat supply store today, and three salemen all agreed they know of NO miniumum height requirement for steaming lights. Makes me think about taking my tallest ladder to put the light as high as I can (safely) to install the new fixture.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Makes me think about taking my tallest ladder to put the light as high as I can (safely) to install the new fixture.
Ladders on a boat can get dangerous. Your up the mast at the highest rung of your 20 ft extension ladder. All is going fine when you hear a horn blare. Rodney Dangerfield is at the helm of his “Mega Yacht” and is heading out of the marina. The rules say no wake zone. But the fearless skipper is at the helm and rules are made for all the little boats. As you reach for the rivet gun to finish the last of the steaming light install you hear the sound of Rodney’s twin 400 horse power diesels rev up. The 4 ft wake of “Mega Yacht” starts to make its way towards your boat. All you can do is drop your tools and take your best grip of the mast.

Sure that could never happen. It’s just a story. In our marina no one ignores the “No Wake Zone “

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I was in the boat supply store today, and three salemen all agreed they know of NO miniumum height requirement for steaming lights. Makes me think about taking my tallest ladder to put the light as high as I can (safely) to install the new fixture.
The guys at the boat stores were wrong. Height is measured above the side-lights (red-green), and must be at least one meter. Don't know how safe your ladder is, but I'm guessing one meter is achievable. That said, your principal guide is visibility and ease of installation. If you've already got a fixture up there, it also has holes drilled (including the wire) and is certainly plenty high.

Reference: Annex I of the USCG version of ColRegs (book mark it if you haven't already done so), Paragaph 2(d) quoted below: Amalgamated International & U.S. Inland Navigation Rules

What you are installing is technically called a "masthead light" (steaming light is not an official term) and don't get this group started on why they call it masthead when it is in front, but the anchor light is at the masthead, etc.

2. Vertical positioning and spacing of lights.
(c) The masthead light of a power-driven vessel of 12 meters but less than 20 meters in length shall be placed at a height above the gunwale of not less than 2.5 meters.
InternationalInland
(d) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may carry the uppermost light at a height of less than 2.5 meters above the gunwale. When, however, a masthead light is carried in addition to sidelights and a sternlight or the all-round light prescribed in Rule 23(d)(i) is carried in addition to sidelights, then such masthead light or all-round light shall be carried at least 1 meter higher than the sidelights.(d) The masthead light, or the all-round light described in Rule 23(d), of a power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall be carried at least 1 meter higher than the sidelights.