Replace Stove with Fridge?

Jan 13, 2019
Newport 30 Kewalo Basin
Ahoy there, Sailors!

I own a 1985 Newport 30’ which is currently in use as a day-cruiser and occasional crash pad. I am wondering how feasible it would be to replace my stove with a refrigerator. Will it decrease my resale value? Is a standalone stove worth anything? I have no place to store it; it would likely be gone forever should I decide to do this. I never use the stove and could very much use a fridge.

Some background:
When I purchased the boat, it had a freestanding mini-fridge that took up floorspace. For a time, I removed the gimbled stove and put the fridge where it had been, saving space and proving far more useful than the stove which, again, I never use.

One day my neighbor discovered the stove in storage and assumed it was junk, then put it on the street for bulk pickup. I was lucky to have found it, and have since returned it to its original spot on the boat. The fridge stopped working and i got rid of it.

I have also considered trying to equip my galley hatch with a cooling system, but access is a little tedious and I know nothing about such systems.

A stove/fridge swap would also allow me to extend the counterspace which of course would be extremely useful.

Is this a good move? Are there particular fridges I should be looking at? Is it possible to put the fridge on a gimble? How ‘bout that resale value?

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I have the same situation on our O'day 34 purchased last summer. At first I was disappointed to see 110 volt Ref in place place of a stove. In thinking back to my years of boat ownership with a stove I can't think of many times I used the stove. We are installing new counter tops over the winter and will go right over the space where the stove used to be. As you pointed out it will give us more counter space AND a place to set a "day use" butane or propane powered cooktop. I have one @ home that I use all the time next to the gas grill. It is 16k BTU and uses EZ to store canisters. Stainless steel and double burners are available for less than 100 bucks. It can be moved outside the galley on "hot"days when we we don't want to cook in the galley. I think the days of a $2,000 or more stove are gone except in cases where some feel the need to have one for "resale". Real estate has seen so many "hard rules"d go by the wayside. For example we stopped offering tubs in the master suite years ago after surveys showed that they were used very infrequently by our customers. In short we recaptured the space and vastly increase the size, function and features of a walk in shower. For me ... I try to use good judgment when it comes to improvements or changes to our boat and our house that matter, but, I intend to use it my way. If the next person wants to change back to a stove, have at it. The space is not gone, just being used my way.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum, Capn' Scally!
Some folks like me do actually use a stove and oven.. but since you don't, go ahead and remove yours.... As David says, a small portable can be used on any infrequent trip where ya might want to make or re-heat something..
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-...3t4H9OkAE_nxZlpAgJwwaLUAhmU9Aw9BoC_LYQAvD_BwE
Easy to store and they work very well.. I used a regular Coleman gasoline stove for several years on my first boat, a 23 foot Spirit.. The stove can probably be sold for enough money to purchase the fridge, or at least defray a lot of the cost. Resale will be hurt a little..
Again, Welcome!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome CaptainScally. Since you have chosen to join the SBO community to help with your sailboat questions, you are obviously a highly intelligent and capable sailor. It is good to have you aboard.
I like what Daviddp said about a butane or LP portable stove. Your desire for a fridge instead of a stove should take presidence. Sell the stove on craigslist and accept the amount you sell it for as the drop in value for resale. Also, add in the value of the fridge. Most buyers of older boats expect to have to deal with previous owner modifications and they may appreciate the ones you have made.
I can't see living for any length of time with a situation I don't want because someday I might want a few more dollars on resell. I doubt it will have much effect, but consider it the cost of getting to use it the way you want to use it.
If you find it hard to sell without the stove, there may be another craigslist seller willing to swap their stove for your fridge.
Good luck and keep us posted.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have removed the gimbaled alcohol stove from our Albin Vega, to make room for a 12V Engel fridge. We'll deploy a tabletop alcohol or butane stove when needed and stow it away when done. The only thing we will lose is the ability to cook (much) when heeled. I think it's a great trade.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My B323 has a Force 10 stove. On the back rail I drilled for 2 bolts to be placed up from the bottom. Bolts sticking up the top for securing pins, I got a large (nylon?) cutting board, drilled two holes, and it now doubles as a counter top.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My B323 has a Force 10 stove. On the back rail I drilled for 2 bolts to be placed up from the bottom. Bolts sticking up the top for securing pins, I got a large (nylon?) cutting board, drilled two holes, and it now doubles as a counter top.
:plus:

Our O'Day had a Seaward alcohol stove with bronze dowels on each side of the rim. A piece of butcher block sat on the dowels to double as countertop.
IMG_1100.JPG

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
Trying to see where you could put something https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-30-3
Some of my liveaboard friends get a small fridge and run it on shore power , they say it still keeps cold for a little while when disconnected .
Or you could go with one of the many 12V car type fridges
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Elec...qid=1547403968&sr=8-3&keywords=dometic+fridge https://www.frys.com/product/845341...MIqY2ila7r3wIVryCtBh2eZwoZEAQYBSABEgJYNPD_BwE
If it were me , I would convert your built in Ice box to 12v reefer . there are several do-it-yourself kits on the market .
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/35_6/features/Galley-Fridge-Conversion-Kits_5785-1.html

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Trying to see where you could put something https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-30-3
Some of my liveaboard friends get a small fridge and run it on shore power , they say it still keeps cold for a little while when disconnected .
Or you could go with one of the many 12V car type fridges
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Elec...qid=1547403968&sr=8-3&keywords=dometic+fridge https://www.frys.com/product/845341...MIqY2ila7r3wIVryCtBh2eZwoZEAQYBSABEgJYNPD_BwE
If it were me , I would convert your built in Ice box to 12v reefer . there are several do-it-yourself kits on the market .
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/35_6/features/Galley-Fridge-Conversion-Kits_5785-1.html
I wonder if anyone has considered a propane powered fridge for a boat? I recently installed a new Dometic three way fridge in my class B motor home. It works great on shore power, and very well on propane, but I don't recommend using 12v power It would kill the batteries in a short time. And it is small enough to fit where a stove was.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Lots of boats from that era had Pressure Alcohol ranges. They are somewhat fussy to use and can pretty easily be a fire hazard. Since a safe and useable galley range is really really nice to have, and if missing will later reduce the value of the boat, I would maintain the ability to cook, and then add a refrigeration kit to the existing ice box. If you DIY it will cost about the same a decent quality portable chest-type 12 or 110 volt fridge.
You can replace the old range with a modern Non Pressure Origo brand range (or counter top stove) and have an easy way to cook. (For the occasional skillet of Spam & eggs.......)
:)
OTOH, if the boat has degenerated to "dock side tiny home" status, then such questions become less relevant. Altho do keep in mind that many gas appliances like cheap stoves are dangerous to have on board.
Your insurer will explain why, as will the fire dept. :(
In case of explosion, if you live, your marina management and insurer may well be after you for damages and liability.
As for propane fridges, they are not normally put on boats because they are not designed for heeling. Plus, you are back to the hazards of the fuel itself.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I sold the stove from my Catalina 30 to a liveaboard in the same marina and then installed a 12VDC/110VAC dual powered fridge I got at a West Marine fire sale for less than $400. (that's a real funny story too). I ended up putting the fridege in the 1/4 berth next to the Nav table (there is a misnomer) and making storage space where the stove was originally. then I purchased a 3 burner Propane cooktop from a camper store for less than $100. The admiral loved it and it was a HUGE selling point when it was time to upgrade to the 380. I'll try to find some photos.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Lots of boats from that era had Pressure Alcohol ranges. They are somewhat fussy to use and can pretty easily be a fire hazard. Since a safe and useable galley range is really really nice to have, and if missing will later reduce the value of the boat, I would maintain the ability to cook, and then add a refrigeration kit to the existing ice box. If you DIY it will cost about the same a decent quality portable chest-type 12 or 110 volt fridge.
You can replace the old range with a modern Non Pressure Origo brand range (or counter top stove) and have an easy way to cook. (For the occasional skillet of Spam & eggs.......)
:)
OTOH, if the boat has degenerated to "dock side tiny home" status, then such questions become less relevant. Altho do keep in mind that many gas appliances like cheap stoves are dangerous to have on board.
Your insurer will explain why, as will the fire dept. :(
In case of explosion, if you live, your marina management and insurer may well be after you for damages and liability.
As for propane fridges, they are not normally put on boats because they are not designed for heeling. Plus, you are back to the hazards of the fuel itself.
Thank you for reminding me that propane fridges should remain level. I forgot how much effort we put into making the motor home level when we stop for the night.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 has a fridge and stove/oven. I always say that the fridge is the best upgrade on my boT (my old boat only had an icebox...now I always have cold beer on hand).

I think the stove/oven is also a good and useful upgrade (my old boat just had a 2-burner alcohol stove top (no oven).

IMG_0339.jpeg

You obviously don’t see a need for a stove/oven...do you have a microwave? Or do you never cook anything on your boat?

If you don’t need it take it out, but I would hold on to it in case you ever want to sell the boat.

Greg

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Ahoy there, Sailors!

I own a 1985 Newport 30’ which is currently in use as a day-cruiser and occasional crash pad. I am wondering how feasible it would be to replace my stove with a refrigerator. Will it decrease my resale value? Is a standalone stove worth anything? I have no place to store it; it would likely be gone forever should I decide to do this. I never use the stove and could very much use a fridge.

Some background:
When I purchased the boat, it had a freestanding mini-fridge that took up floorspace. For a time, I removed the gimbled stove and put the fridge where it had been, saving space and proving far more useful than the stove which, again, I never use.

One day my neighbor discovered the stove in storage and assumed it was junk, then put it on the street for bulk pickup. I was lucky to have found it, and have since returned it to its original spot on the boat. The fridge stopped working and i got rid of it.

I have also considered trying to equip my galley hatch with a cooling system, but access is a little tedious and I know nothing about such systems.

A stove/fridge swap would also allow me to extend the counterspace which of course would be extremely useful.

Is this a good move? Are there particular fridges I should be looking at? Is it possible to put the fridge on a gimble? How ‘bout that resale value?
Welcome aboard CaptScally! I think you answered your own question when you say you will never use a stove. For me, I use the stove and oven often. I use it underway usually to make tea or lunch. Traveling for hours I’m glad the stove is gimbaled so everything doesn’t go flying. If you’re just day sailing you won’t use it. I wouldn’t buy a used boat without some way to cook underway.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
So, why would you buy a cruising boat if you didn't intend to cruise, and hence, cook? But plenty of folks do. By extension, if I'm not going overnight, why would I need a fridge (rather than a cooler)?

So I don't understand the original question. My last boat had a stove and a fridge, I cruised, and I used the stove a LOT more than the fridge, which I really did not need (I prefer an ice chest for 2-4 days trips). My current boat is daysailed, and I don't need either. I can't see running a fridge just to keep a few drinks cool. But that's me.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
So, why would you buy a cruising boat if you didn't intend to cruise, and hence, cook? But plenty of folks do. By extension, if I'm not going overnight, why would I need a fridge (rather than a cooler)?

So I don't understand the original question. My last boat had a stove and a fridge, I cruised, and I used the stove a LOT more than the fridge, which I really did not need (I prefer an ice chest for 2-4 days trips). My current boat is daysailed, and I don't need either. I can't see running a fridge just to keep a few drinks cool. But that's me.
Okay, Capt. Scally. What gives here? A single woman, living in Hawaii maybe. In Honolulu, perhaps? Needing a "crash pad"? Why a fridge, (cold ones) and not a stove? I don't get it.:biggrin:
Welcome to the forum. Some of our frozen mainlanders would love to hear more about sailing in Paradise.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
My O’Day 322 has a fridge and stove/oven.
Hey, Greg, where’s the fridge? In the icebox, I assume. Does it run only on AC dock power? If so, no cold beer while sailing?