Replace Shut off ball valve under sink

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
As one said above. "The haul out cost of 3 bills plus". Now most of us can DIY but remember there is a haul out fee to get it where it can be safely worked on. So? Let's say $300 for haul out, $100 for parts and $160 for labor. So I feel the $160 in labor is a little high but in the scheme of things not that bad. I would have wanted that much in labor myself. Especially if I had to warranty the work.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
don't mean to rub it in, but for the sake of others who may follow, any of you consider calling catalina yachts before charging ahead?

Jan 6, 2010
I should have posted this earlier.

Looking at a picture, the only thing I wasn't crazy about is using any kind of plywood for a base or anywhere for that matter in a bilge area. Plywood & water by definition, should never meet. I've seen plenty of problems at thruhull fittings & most plywood bases, I saw had rotted.

There are alot of plastic/polypropylene/PVC & fiberglas compounds that are better "waterproof" products.

CR

Dec 2, 2010
Catalina 30mk cataumet Mass
Thanks to all who responded.

1. The drain was winterized correctly.

2. We all know yards charge to much and they don't care
how long or fast they do a job.

3. I plan to change out the other valves this winter.
CAT DIRECT has the parts.

NO NEED TO REPLY. END....

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I should have posted this earlier. Looking at a picture, the only thing I wasn't crazy about is using any kind of plywood for a base or anywhere for that matter in a bilge area. Plywood & water by definition, should never meet. I've seen plenty of problems at thruhull fittings & most plywood bases, I saw had rotted. There are alot of plastic/polypropylene/PVC & fiberglas compounds that are better "waterproof" products. CR

Of course you are correct. I did soak the wood in resin. I may try replacing it next haul out.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I am using g10 for all my seacock backing plates. Follow Maine Sail's directions for installing. I like his threaded backing plate version over the "3 bolts through the hull" version. I used 1/2" over 5/8" thick though.