Replace impeller and engine zinc

Aug 3, 2015
Hunter 380 San Diego
I have a Hunter 380 and had a local mechanic replace the impeller and engine zinc. I was charged almost $900.
This seems excessive. Can someone speak to what is reasonable to pay for this service?

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
we have a H42 with a yanmar 4JH2TE- no engine zinc and impellor takes about 10 minutes to change.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
My Mech does it for 75 bucks, which is his hourly labor rate, plus 35 bucks for the impeller..
My Yanmar 2GM20F has no engine zinc...
What model and year engine do you have?
How hard is it to access the cover plate or to remove your water pump?
Have you ever tried to do it yourself?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
did they replace the zinc with 14k or 16k gold??? :) you got taken to the cleaners. The impeller and zinc are DIY replacements. If you have even the minimal skill, you can do it!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I have a Hunter 380 and had a local mechanic replace the impeller and engine zinc. I was charged almost $900.
This seems excessive. Can someone speak to what is reasonable to pay for this service?
It's outrageous. Definitely dispute the charge. I wish you the best and hope it works out for you.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Next time I will fly out from the east coast and supply parts for that price. Sorry friend you have learned an expensive lesson. Now do your homework, watch a couple of YouTube videos and keep the parts onboard, this is a two beer diy job. You as many of us, not have an engine zink, confirm that and learn to service your boat, it will save money, give a sense of confidence. We all need to know how to fix most of the systems on our boats for the times things break away from the dock.
Good luck, we mean well in our comments but you were robbed.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I'll be in your area Feb. and only charge $600 for my normal hourly rate and of course parts are extra (shelf price * 5).

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If you have a Yanmar 3JH3E engine like I had on my on my 2004 Hunter 386 refer to page 149 and 151 for the seawater pump disassembly/reassembly (attached) and freshwater pump replacement, respectively. The seawater pump is tricky to get access to on this engine since it is under the alternator and you might have to rotate it. I would expect the cost to replace the seawater impeller to be 1 hour labor minimum plus travel time at $125/hour, which is typical in the San Francisco bay area. The manual does not mention zincs.

If you contact me I would be happy to email you the engine manual for future reference.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@sandiegosailor99 I’d take up @leo310 on his offer. He’s Canadian and with the exchange rate you‘d be saving another 25%!

Besides if he sees his shadow he might just go into hibernation, he’ll forget why he is there, and you can just send him back. Just be ready to end a sentence with, ”Eh”!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
He probably charges for travel time. But still... 900?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Knew of a mechanic that felt that the easier the job was the more he cold charge. His belief was that if you can't do the simple stuff on your own then the sky's the limit....

I do ALL my own work. This guarantees that I know what is happening with the various systems...

Depending on the impeller, $15-25.00 with gasket and pencil zincs are about $6.00. Hr minimum labor...$85-$125.00 ( if a yard) .. Most you should have paid $155.00ish. Beyond that is usury ...

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
I've seen a bill for a simple oil and filter change over $300 CND the brake down was $50 for oil $45 filter $150 travel and shop time 2 hr @$85. Now doing it your self $25 oil and $12 Filter and done in 1 hr.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
It's not only price but quality! I had our "well known" diesel guys do some work on my 2GMH engine. They left the alternator belt eating into the water hose. Not to worry, they came back to fix it and left the alternator safety cover eating into the belt. Also found out they installed quite a few items incorrectly. Now have a new diesel mechanic.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
maybe a quick call to complain or notice that small claims court could ruin their reputation!

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
That's why I do it so I know its done right the first time. Also if your out in the middle of nowhere and something fails I can fix it or have a work around to get back to dock.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
It's not only price but quality! I had our "well known" diesel guys do some work on my 2GMH engine. They left the alternator belt eating into the water hose. Not to worry, they came back to fix it and left the alternator safety cover eating into the belt. Also found out they installed quite a few items incorrectly. Now have a new diesel mechanic.
This charge would be absolutely CORRECT if he was changing the impeller on a 49 with the 4JH engine.
To get at the water pump, you need a minimum of 3 hours, as it’s under the alternator, which needs to be removed.
That was why I came up with the modification kit, which is fully documented on this site. It now takes 15 minutes, and barely break a sweat.

tb_gb

Jul 26, 2019
Hunter 380 Daytona Beach, Fl
I have a 1999 Hunter 380 as well, and just last weekend changed the impeller. What a royal pain in the butt. The previous owner did put in the access panel....and then never changed the impeller in 4 years. After last weekends 4 hours of hell, I know why. I did get it done, thank God since there was only one paddle left. But, what Yanmar was thinking in putting the access where they did is incomprehensible. Some advice: 1) You need needle nose pliers to work the impeller out far enough that the impeller puller (needle nosed pliers with hooks on the end...expensive but worth every penny), can grab it 2) Getting the gasket ring to stay in the groove long enough to put the plate back on is a challenge...finally solved with a lot of sweat, cursing and a bit of silicone 3) unless you have very small hands you will drop the screws several times in the process, followed by more cursing. The good thing is they fall right in the pan and are easily retrieved.......after getting up and walking all the way around to the other side of the engine......several times in my case.

Will I do it again??? Yes, in 2 years not one. Hopefully it will be like labor pains to an expectant Mother. They say they forget the pain or you would never have a second child. In changing the impeller it will take every bit of 2 years for me to forget what I just went through.

Tom

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a 1999 Hunter 380 as well, and just last weekend changed the impeller. What a royal pain in the butt. The previous owner did put in the access panel....and then never changed the impeller in 4 years. After last weekends 4 hours of hell, I know why. I did get it done, thank God since there was only one paddle left. But, what Yanmar was thinking in putting the access where they did is incomprehensible. Some advice: 1) You need needle nose pliers to work the impeller out far enough that the impeller puller (needle nosed pliers with hooks on the end...expensive but worth every penny), can grab it 2) Getting the gasket ring to stay in the groove long enough to put the plate back on is a challenge...finally solved with a lot of sweat, cursing and a bit of silicone 3) unless you have very small hands you will drop the screws several times in the process, followed by more cursing. The good thing is they fall right in the pan and are easily retrieved.......after getting up and walking all the way around to the other side of the engine......several times in my case.

Will I do it again??? Yes, in 2 years not one. Hopefully it will be like labor pains to an expectant Mother. They say they forget the pain or you would never have a second child. In changing the impeller it will take every bit of 2 years for me to forget what I just went through.

Tom
Tom,

Have you asked yourself where the impeller pieces went? Odds on favorite is that some of those pieces are lodged in your heat exchanger. You might want to drop the caps and rod out the tubes...

Rick