Replace fuel tank

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Anyone replace their fuel tank? I am interested as to how you secured the new tank to the hull.

Jan 6, 2010
HV,

Are you matching the existing tank? Making mounting pads for a new tank is pretty simple. Just match where your mounting areas are. You find a material say1" thk., glass it to the hull & glass over it. Use some ss screws with caulk.

If I were you, first I'd call my friend Lenny @ Catalina in largo Florida. They make all kinds of stuff for the C30's. (727) 544-6681

If you do go this route, I would also have them put in an inspection cover on top. Go with a min. of 4" either square or round. This will allow you to clean any sludge without having to pay someone to do it. Catalina have good pricing on remaking orig. parts.

CR

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
My plywood bed was still in great shape so I just screwed the new tank down with 1" stainless screws and washers.

Got my tank from Catalina Yachts. $450 after shipping and taxes.

Last edited:

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
My tank was aluminum with tabs that were glassed to the hull. I used a 3" grinder to remove the glass. The tank was a tight fit. Luckily the original manufacturer label and part number was on the tank and ordered through them who were still in business under a different name (RDS). I tried to go through Catalina first but they didn't have the same tank that was installed. I epoxied four G-10 blocks to the hull that were drilled and threaded. I used straps to secure the tank and to the blocks. It is removable for the future.

Oct 5, 2010
image.jpeg
My tank was aluminum with tabs that were glassed to the hull. I used a 3" grinder to remove the glass. The tank was a tight fit. Luckily the original manufacturer label and part number was on the tank and ordered through them who were still in business under a different name (RDS). I tried to go through Catalina first but they didn't have the same tank that was installed. I epoxied four G-10 blocks to the hull that were drilled and threaded. I used straps to secure the tank and to the blocks. It is removable for the future.
DJ2210, thanks. I am doing something very similar to you. I got some aluminum and am going to epoxy to the hull and then strap the tank down using screws. I also ordered the tank from RDS and then drove to Perry to pick it up. I got wholesale pricing at $350 because they thought I was a boat yard when I called.

Oct 5, 2010
I had to change design, the long skids would not lay flat. I cut them down and have two per side.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg