Replace Dorade with Solar Vent

Oct 28, 2019
Hunter 38 North Shore of Boston
I’m considering getting a solar vent for hunter 38. I know a lot of people install them in their hatches but I’m not super keen on blocking the light like that. I’ve got two thoughts- I could either replace my existing scoop on my dorade in front of the companionway slider with the vent or put it in the cabin top of the head.

I like the dorade because it’s out of the way and not likely to be caught on anything. It also wouldn’t allow water intrusion. I’m just not sure how effective it would be since it’s my only real source of ventilation right now.

If I put it in the cabin top in the head I’d ideally put it under the dodger all the forward under the eisenglass so it would still get the sun. I know this is less than ideal but I don’t want to interrupt the cabin top forward of the dodgerbecause it’s a good place for the dingy and moving around on deck to get to the mast.

I’m really unsure of what the best direction is to go here. Any thoughts, advice, or info on your install is appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Wouldn't it be simplier to replace your existing dorade vent with a solar vent in its current location and be temporarily inconvenienced by your dinghy stowed on the cabin top forward of the companionway?

Oct 28, 2019
Wouldn't it be simplier to replace your existing dorade vent with a solar vent in its current location and be temporarily inconvenienced by your dinghy stowed on the cabin top forward of the companionway?
I agree that the dorade is the simpler route. My only concern is if I’ll get enough airflow considering there is no other exhaust or intake since I only have the one dorade

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Another option is an Air Only vent.

Air-Only Low Profile
  • Deck ventilator with build-in Air-Only ventilator
  • Buy them to fit instead of leaking mushroom and labyrinth ventilators.
  • Complete set with cabin ring and all fitting screws: specification & assembly, templates for fitting.
  • The cover made of extremely UV-stabilized plastics: Luran S. We guarantee no yellowing, no weathering as minimum for 15 years. Very strong! You can step on it and even jump!
A2F2C4A0-E81F-46D9-8F7B-C835E93C186A.jpeg

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
I'm thinking about doing the same on my 44 DS. Defender currently has some of these on sale.

Anyone know the size of the hole through the deck for the existing dorade?

The 4" size says that the 'above deck cutout' is 4 3/4"

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........Anyone know the size of the hole through the deck for the existing dorade? The 4" size says that the 'above deck cutout' is 4 3/4"
I can help IF same as on my Hunter 46, which had a 4" SeaDog cowl and required a 4-3/4" cutout. I replaced mine with stainless steel cowls last year.

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
Thanks sail sfbay!

Mine looks exactly like the one at the link below from ebay. And it agrees that it is a 4 3/4" cut out. Nice.

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
Thanks! Those look really nice. The soft plastic on my original one looks pretty sad at this point.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
I've had the Marinco ones in the past and in my experience they were not very reliable. The 4" one I had was replaced twice under warranty -- When the 4th one failed, I moved on.

On my current boat I have one of the Buchan stainless dorade vents. Very nice piece of equipment for not that much more than the crappy plastic ones.

Oct 28, 2019
I just ordered the larger marinco solar vent. It should be an approximate for for the existing cutout. I can always put the dorade back and move the vent if I decide it’s not working well enough.

1 more question- should I set it to exhaust or intake? It will be replacing my only vent so I think maybe intake but I’m not sure what would be best.

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
I replaced my dorade with the 4" Marinco a couple of years ago. Very little air circulation for as long as it lasted which wasn't very long. I would never buy another one.