Replace Batteries on the Hard

Oct 28, 2019
Hunter 38 North Shore of Boston
Hey guys,

I will be replacing my 2 4d lead acid house batteries (100 lbs each) with new while on the hard and was wondering if anyone had used any smart methods to safely lower and raise batteries. My mast is removed and the boat is still covered which makes this a more daunting task.

So far my best idea is to stage both batteries in the cockpit and tie a line to the handle on either side of the battery. Poke the other end of the line through the shrink wrap and use a winch to lower. My big concern here is making sure it doesn’t bang against the hull or cause a large mess somehow.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
Personally, I would wait until boats back in water. Ive done what you plan in the past, wasn't worth it...

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Someone will have a clever solution, probably involving your boom. The biggest Issue I see is getting the battery to the ground - which is probably a further distance than most lines on your boat will reach and still have purchase on a winch.

I did this by myself while in my slip, but same principal. I used my topping lift which is led to a cabin top winch to lift each battery vertically, and then a steel d-ring on another line clipped into the topping lift and led to my jibsheet winch for fore/aft movement of the battery while hoisting. The batteries have built in handles for lifting which are more than sufficient for their weight, and the hoisting system allowed me to easily get them out of the port locker and onto the port cockpit seat. Just take it slow. I did have a friend help me deadlift the batteries off the boat, but that was just across the cockpit and then onto the dock with the boat tied close and securely in place.

Good luck.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I have done this on the hard with the same battery. I use a block and fiddle block setup tied to the boom. I have access out the stern of the boat so that's where I lift. The fiddle block cam locks let me stop at any point to adjust as required.

Going out the stern does not put any side loading on the boat or the supports.

Have also used a similar lift for a stripped down diesel block (approx 100 lbs) and swung the boom just over the side to lower the block to the ground

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto jdhohmann...........Whenever I replace heavy 4d batteries I always do it with the boat at the dock have a second person assist carrying the other end. Fast and avoids rigging and winching that much weight.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why would you replace 4d with the same? For decades folks have been suggesting that those big heavy and not true deep cycle batteries be replaced with lighter, better, true deep cycle golf cart batteries. Your boat, your back. :)

What you are attempting to do is dangerous, unnecessary, foolhardy and counterproductive.

While I wish you the best for your health and safety, please think about this again, and more than twice.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
He said:
Sorry, I definitely missed that. No good ideas that seem safe to me without a mast or boom to help mechanically (or a crane). You fall with one of those 100 lb batteries and you're not getting up. Drop one on the pavement or gravel and you'll have a HAZMAT problem.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My 3 Group 31 batteries are about 70lbs each. This is how I did it.
Yep, works for me with group 31’s, but I wouldn’t want to do it with 4D’s.

Stu makes a good point about there potentially being better alternatives, but replacing with GC’s still requires removing the old heavy lead.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Sorry, I definitely missed that. No good ideas that seem safe to me without a mast or boom to help mechanically (or a crane). You fall with one of those 100 lb batteries and you're not getting up. Drop one on the pavement or gravel and you'll have a HAZMAT problem.
:plus::plus::plus: :beer:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS

Stu makes a good point about there potentially being better alternatives, but replacing with GC’s still requires removing the old heavy lead.
That's true. Still have to get the old ones out. Much easier on the water if it's an alternative. Block and tackle might work.

It's crazy enough, it just might work
secondhand lions porch.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It's crazy enough, it just might work
View attachment 191946
Last month we rented an excavator for some yard cleanup work in Virginia. Cost $300 a day. Maybe you could rent one by the hour for less.. put it in the bucket and lower it into your truck bed (or whatever). I just did a search for Charleston area and this one is $330/day

1616527186271.png

If you have room between the boats, you could drive this up to the cockpit, raise the arm, put the battery in the bucket, close the jaw to secure it and then drive it where you need it.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hey guys,

I will be replacing my 2 4d lead acid house batteries (100 lbs each) with new while on the hard and was wondering if anyone had used any smart methods to safely lower and raise batteries. My mast is removed and the boat is still covered which makes this a more daunting task.

So far my best idea is to stage both batteries in the cockpit and tie a line to the handle on either side of the battery. Poke the other end of the line through the shrink wrap and use a winch to lower. My big concern here is making sure it doesn’t bang against the hull or cause a large mess somehow.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated
I replaced 3 4d gel batts and 1 gr 27 gel start batt last spring. It was easy. I called the boatyard where she was hauled and asked them to remove old and replace with new. They brought the new batts alongside on a fork lift and 2 strong young hands (like I was once many, many years ago) made the swap new for old in about10 minutes, and I hooked them up. These guys could pick up a 4D and carry it down or up the companionway steps. I think it cost about 100 bucks. Way less than the cost of the batts.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I would definitely not carry them up a step ladder or worse yet an extension ladder. I replaced a 4D on a cruise and used a spare mainsheet system with triple blocks with a cam cleat and becket. It was hung from the boom and it was easy peesy to pull the battery out of the lazarette. One hand operation. I'D Rx doing it in the water with the mast and boom rigged. If you need to start the engine to get the boat out of the lift well (Tick, tick, tick) use a jumper pack. It's good to have one anyway.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I replaced 3 4d gel batts and 1 gr 27 gel start batt last spring. It was easy. I called the boatyard where she was hauled and asked them to remove old and replace with new............... cost about 100 bucks.............
Very smart!!...............I also did the same when I replaced two 4d batteries on my Hunter 386 prior to splashing it after storing on the hard for 3 years while overseas.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Why would you replace 4d with the same? For decades folks have been suggesting that those big heavy and not true deep cycle batteries be replaced with lighter, better, true deep cycle golf cart batteries. Your boat, your back. :)

What you are attempting to do is dangerous, unnecessary, foolhardy and counterproductive.

While I wish you the best for your health and safety, please think about this again, and more than twice.

Changing to 4 GC batteries will lead to improved battery capacity and longer battery life.

I have a similar issue, swapping out 4 GC batteries and replacing them with 2 Grp 31 Fireflys. The plan is to use the OB motor hoist to bring the batteries up to the cockpit. The line is long enough to reach the ground or close to it. I have an electric winch handle so the lift will be easy.

The GCs will go down the same way or maybe I'll wait until the boat is in the water and just carry them off.

Installing the new batteries means some new cable and battery restraints, I want to get those done before we go in the water, otherwise I'd wait until we're in the water.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Get a case of beer, and offer it to some strong young studs who can lift the batts up on the boat.

Don’t give them the beer until they have the batteries where you want them, and the studs are safely back on the ground.

:beer:

Greg

• Helpful
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Argh! Well, I've replaced our dual 8D battery system twice over the years since owning our boat that we purchased in 2002. Originals were wets, so replaced with wets the first time. My son on one end and me on the other. Boat was in the water so lift was much lower than on the hard. The second time was with AGMs weighing at around 165 pound apiece. A chore, but my partner and I took our time and gotter done.