Repairing reefing system on Vision 32

Thad

Mar 28, 2017
Hunter 32 Vision San Diego CA
I recently purchased a 1990 Hunter Vision 32. The owner removed a reef during sea trial and wasn't sure how to reinstall. Does anyone have a diagram or step by step guide to the reefing system. I believe it is a jiffy reef system. Looking in the boom I can't figure out how to route the reefs back through the rigging inside the boom.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think you mean that he took the reefing line(s) out of the boom? It sounds like they will need to be re-fished through the boom. If there is a turning block in the boom, to gain mechanical advantage, it could be a bit complicated. You may want to re-evaluate the system and re-install a system of your choice. For instance, if it is a single line system, I would change it to the simpler slab reefing system with a reefing hook. I hope you smacked the owner upside the head!
Try: Sailing + Mainsail reefing systems.

Thad

Mar 28, 2017
Hunter 32 Vision San Diego CA
After researching a bit more, it appears I have an iso auto single line reefing system. The reef lines are no longer running through the internal boom travel block's roller sheaves. Now I'm wondering how difficult it is to remove the travel block from the boom and reinstall the reef lines. I also notices a number of the roller sheaves have broken edges. Looks like I will need to find replacement parts.

Apr 16, 2016
T-Craft TS18 Moraine
@Thad -
I just bought a Vision 32 last year and it has the same problem with the iso mat reefing lines removed from the boom. Were you able to solve this problem on your boat? This looks like a difficult project because the blocks in the boom do not look like they are very accessible and trying to fish line thru them seems impossible. Could you post what you ended up doing to fix the problem.
Thanks
Bob

Aug 21, 2019
Hunter Vision 32 Shilshole Bay Marina
This project is on my list, too. Same thing happened to me: the main was de-rigged for repair, and the reefing system is just hanging out there. However, as far as I can tell, my clew and tack reefing lines are still running through those shuttle blocks inside the boom. What did you end up doing, Thad?