Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Entertaining video. Far more complex to me than a sail boat. Maybe why you enjoy cars. I look forward to watching more of your work and learning along the way.

I agree you need monogram shirts. Swag. Another profit source. Also creating an affiliation groupie following.

Best wishes to you and your projects.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
@B757Captain - if only the boat channel worked... another great one for you! $16Million original spent to build... galley fire, needs interior! $200k minimum bid, room to make a good return.

Anyway... sorry Mark, it's fun to dream of spending someone else's money/time/future! Imagine the car show path will be equally amazing!

View attachment 212071
There is a good reason this boat was written off by insurance. You would need to literally strip it out to the hull.
RH builds beautiful custom boats, but the operative word is “custom”
If you look in the photos, you will notice an incredibly complex electrical system. And all of the systems are equally “one off”
To rebuild this yacht would cost well into 8 figures. And with a salvage title, the value is hugely diminished.
It’s deceiving to look at the beautiful deck, spar , and gleaming winches. All of these systems are run by very complex hydraulics, which would also be beyond repair.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
There is a good reason this boat was written off by insurance. You would need to literally strip it out to the hull.
RH builds beautiful custom boats, but the operative word is “custom”
If you look in the photos, you will notice an incredibly complex electrical system. And all of the systems are equally “one off”
To rebuild this yacht would cost well into 8 figures. And with a salvage title, the value is hugely diminished.
It’s deceiving to look at the beautiful deck, spar , and gleaming winches. All of these systems are run by very complex hydraulics, which would also be beyond repair.
But, Mark is obviously good at gutting a boat and rebuilding it like it should have been built in the first instance. :biggrin:

MNF

May 26, 2023
Hunter Legend 40 Lough Dergh
Wow, wow and wow again. What an absolute treasure of a thread. I have just spent the last 3 days binge consuming all the info as I was trying to make a decision on a Legend 40. The photos and descriptions provided me with the ability to see what would not have been possible otherwise and allowed me to be armed with precise knowledge and awareness which made my decision making so much more effective.

Mark, I think you are a legend. Your energy, commitment and abilities are awe inspiring and I want thank you for what you have provided - a service to others which you might never fully appreciate the magnitude of.

I have signed the deal and once money clears I will be the owner of a 88 Legend 40.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I just finished catching up. Is there a +1 button that applies to every complimentary post? I feel honored to live in the same state as Mark. We may never meet but at least we pay homage to the same State Bird and fly the same State Flag!
And Mark, I was in the path of totality. It was pretty close to life-
Total Eclipse for email.jpeg
changing for me.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Yes Virginia there is Escape Velocity. We’re at Edisto Island this weekend. Our son-in-law suggested we take his Key West to Dataw Island for lunch. It’s a nice ride down the Intracoastal Waterway from here. It didn’t dawn on me until we were just about there that that’s where Mark and Escape Velocity live. Lo and behold there she was in all her splendor and glory.
Mark, being the wise soul he is, has never given me his direct contact information so all I could do is take a few pictures and send him a private message through the forum that I was there. Mark, being the wise soul he is, was nowhere to be found.
I had shrimp and grits at the Morgan River Grill.
Dataw Island is a fabulous part of South Carolina’s Low Country. Mark has chosen a special place in this old world of ours to call home.

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Mark, I hope you have not abandoned all work on your Hunter to pursue your YouTube channel. You were getting so close to being able to get her out on the water, it would be a shame if she didn't get competed.