renaming

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
restoring a 1974 venture 17,I don't live near the water,can I do the renaming ceremony in my backyard?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Not sure but you have a ready made excuse to spend a day at Okatibbe Lake and to drink rum . Nice place to spend a day. The marina there has a few sailboats and a ramp. Call them 601-626-8080 and see what a transient slip costs then plan an overnight sailing adventure.

Just 2 cents worth of free advice.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
upload_2019-7-14_15-40-27.png

I have an Uncle in Meridian and I've spent a day on a pontoon boat at Okatibbee. Nice lake with a few islands to explore.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @tgrayson to the forum.
Size of boat is not important. Be it a dinghy or a big yacht, when you rename her you are speaking with the sea and winds who know the old name. If you go prancing about with a new name it will create confusion in the system. We are encouraged by sailor tradition to rename our boats by acknowledging the power who provides us wind and calm seas. Identify the name that is being retired and introduce the new name. It is always easier to accept new ideas when there is a little rum.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think I've come up with a more reasonable ceremony that accomplishes all the necessary tasks to convince Poseidon that your new boat is not a threat to the "system", as JS put it.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/the-practical-renaming-ceremony.188929/
Here's a link to my thread about the Practical Renaming Ceremony.
It will also give you some idea of the can of worms you're fishing with here on SBO when you ask this question.
Welcome to our fine crew and may your sails be filled with air, as well as your bilge.
Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
In the above link, Will talks of the "you shouldn't rename a boat" tradition that I had been so indoctrinated with here in the US.

However, when I bought my first boat in the Basque region, it was explained that I in fact should change the boats name! Name changing was to give the boat new life with the new owner. But it also was not mandatory, only strongly suggested.

Now, as the Basque are some of the world's best and historically some of the oldest sailors in the world, I take that as a serious twist to the old adage that you shouldn't change a boats name. Although for sure if you perform such an excercise, one should do it correctly!

Do bear in mind the first person to sail around the world was a Basque from the village of Guetaria named Juan Sebastian Elcano. (Funny how US schools all taught us it was Magellan, but in the same breath they told us he was killed in the Philippines so he couldn't have been the first to circumnavigate the world could he?)

Just some food for thought....

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
but in the same breath they told us he was killed in the Philippines so he couldn't have been the first to circumnavigate the world could he?)
That was on his way back from circling the globe ;).

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
giving the boat a new life ,as well as a new name,with a little rum added.