Removing v-berth bow wood panel on a Hunter 38

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Has any one removed the bow wood panels at the front of the v-berth on a Hunter 38 or similar setup? I want to gain access to the inside of the bow on my 2007 Hunter 38 to do some fiberglass repair of the bow above the waterline but below the anchor locker.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
In your owner's manual, behind the wood panel is the Anchor Locker.

do some fiberglass repair of the bow above the waterline but below the anchor locker.
The Anchor Locker has an above water drain, but the bottom of that Locker is solid.
Pictures of your repair area would be helpful.

Jim...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The molded anchor locker only occupies a portion of the space in the bow.
The access for hull repairs may be tight, but it's do-able if you can do boat yoga!

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Reply to OP: The bottom panel is just held with 4 woodscrews and gives access to windlass and surrounding deck area from inside. My H38:is hull 106 build in 2004 but I found construction differences between hulls.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Reply to OP: The bottom panel is just held with 4 woodscrews and gives access to windlass and surrounding deck area from inside. My H38:is hull 106 build in 2004 but I found construction differences between hulls.
Thanks yes the access panel to the windlass comes off easily. I need to get the vertical piece that covers the bow below the windlass access panel to repair some fiberglass damage in the bow.

V-Berth Hunter 38.png

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI

The Anchor Locker has an above water drain, but the bottom of that Locker is solid.

Jim...
1 minute ago
Add bookmark
JamesG161 said:

Jim...
Bow damage.jpg
- Thanks - the area to be repaired is in the bow above the water line and below the anchor locker drain. A mooring ball damaged it in a storm. It is covered in the attached picture with black tape

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Under the V-berth mattresses there are several lift out panels that provide access to your fresh water tank and also an empty space forward of the tank. The remainder of the mattress base is fastened down with phillips screws. I believe that once you remove the base, you will be able to access the area that you want to repair. If not it should certainly give you a better idea as to how to proceed.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That is outside work, not Anchor locker work.
It is the Bow area that has special structure to take the wave force.

Before
B4.jpg

Fixed
fixed1.jpg

I had minor damage to the bow. That part had to be fixed from the outside.

Repairing Bow.jpg

Jim...

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
1 minute ago
Add bookmark
JamesG161 said:

Jim...
View attachment 200234- Thanks - the area to be repaired is in the bow above the water line and below the anchor locker drain. A mooring ball damaged it in a storm. It is covered in the attached picture with black tape
Ouch! Pat
That had to make you just sick to see.
I do wonder if the repair can be done from the outside. We had a Tripp 50 hit the channel wall a couple,of years ago and made a much bigger hole. That repair I believe was done from the outside and the boat was still in the water.
If it cant I think the instructions given by Hello Below on how to pull up the platform the V berth cushions sit on should get you there.
In any event good luck with it.