Removing Treadmaster decking

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That sounds like it would be an Enormous job.

I think I would try to soften the adhesive with heat …. maybe using a steamer or an iron (on low) and warm a section at a time and then try to peel it off. If that doesn’t work I might try a multitool with an edging blade and again try to lift it off.

EBD129F3-A3C0-49BA-A16B-2B7C953544FF.png

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
That sounds like it would be an Enormous job.

I think I would try to soften the adhesive with heat …. maybe using a steamer or an iron (on low) and warm a section at a time and then try to peel it off. If that doesn’t work I might try a multitool with an edging blade and again try to lift it off.

View attachment 218129
I’ve been doing that and incredibly slow work. The Treadmaster was put down with epoxy. Was thinking that a router might actually be faster

Jan 19, 2010
The Treadmaster was put down with epoxy.
:yikes::thumbsdown::yikes::thumbsdown::yikes:

If it is epoxy, you are screwed. :facepalm:

I wonder if you could use an industrial floor sander (or belt sander) and knock it down enough to put a new treadmaster over the top of the old one. I don't know what you would use to glue them together but it might be worth exploring ....:beer:

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
You are going to have to refinish that deck surface anyway, and this is a good time to epoxy-re-pot all the deck fittings if you have not already done so. Just use a vibration cutter and follow up with a heat gun to soften the epoxy. It's a big project, and I would advise using a Fein, rather than a cheap knockoff. Use quality blades and change them often.

Is the OEM Treadmaster cracked and starting to peel from the edges? After enough decades that's normal.
Great stuff, but it has a life limit.
Heck, you could do an LPU repaint, and then apply another Treadmaster non skid pattern.... and worry about it again in another 30 years! It's a durable and safe surface.

Good luck! You have a very fast classic (and classy) boat.

Jan 19, 2010
How about a power plane! I’d think it more controllable than a router.
:plus:

That sounds like a good idea. I have one and have used it on several projects. I think it would be much easier to control than a router. You can also set the depth of the cut rather shallow as you approach the end and that way, when you make a mistake, it will be a relatively small one.:beer:

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
IMG_3314.jpeg
IMG_3337.jpeg
IMG_3314.jpegIMG_3337.jpeg
Finally got around to removing and applying Kiwi Grip on two thirds of the deck. To remove the Treadmaster I used a Dremmel multitool with a scraper blade. The old material came up easily particularly on the warmer days.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago