Removing jib car track on Catalina 22

Jun 7, 2022
Catalina C22 Lake Wallenpaupack
New sailor. Been getting water in the bilge when it rains and tracked it to three constant tracks of water coming down the side of the hull right beneath the jib car track on the starboard side of my 1976 Catalina 22. I went to remove the track but the first few screws I tried just turned freely. How do I get this thing up? Am I on the right track to find this leak? Once I get it up, will I be able to get it back down since there's no access underneath at all?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Do you know if it is throughbolted or just screwed into the deck? If it is throughbolted (I’m guessing it is) you have to find a way to get at the nuts under the deck and go from there (I don’t have a C22, so I am not familiar if it has a liner).
If it is just screws into the deck, try to get something like a thin screwdriver under the track and gently pry upward as you turn the screws, you should be able to get the screws out. Start at one side of the track and work your way to the other. Some of the screws will have enough bite where you won’t have to do pry up on the track to get them out.

When you have the all the screws out the track will probably still be “glued” down with (hopefully) Butyl tape, 4200 or Life Caulk. If you aren’t lucky it will be sealed with 5200. Pry it up and clean all the caulk away with acetone or mineral spirits.
I would fill in the existing holes with thickened epoxy, then redrill them after it cures. Use butyl tape under the track and around each screw and tighten it down.
A picture of the track and inside the cabin under it would help.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I had a similar leak on my Catalina 22. it turned out to be the joint between hull and deck behind the rub rail. I used clear silicone to seal around the top edge of the aluminum track of the rub rail and the leak went away. it was a temporary fix last winter until I could replace the rub rail and bed properly. It did not leak a drop after the silicone treatment. you can hold a hose right on top of the rub rail joint and see if it leaks
Dano

Jun 7, 2022
I had a similar leak on my Catalina 22. it turned out to be the joint between hull and deck behind the rub rail. I used clear silicone to seal around the top edge of the aluminum track of the rub rail and the leak went away. it was a temporary fix last winter until I could replace the rub rail and bed properly. It did not leak a drop after the silicone treatment. you can hold a hose right on top of the rub rail joint and see if it leaks
Dano
How did you rebed without internal access to the nut and bolt? Can you fill with epoxy and use a screw instead?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
New sailor. Been getting water in the bilge when it rains and tracked it to three constant tracks of water coming down the side of the hull right beneath the jib car track on the starboard side of my 1976 Catalina 22. I went to remove the track but the first few screws I tried just turned freely. How do I get this thing up? Am I on the right track to find this leak? Once I get it up, will I be able to get it back down since there's no access underneath at all?
If your C-22 is the original pre-1986 design, it's probably pretty similar to mine. You can get access to the nuts by removing the interior wood trim (under the side deck, above the fiddle shelf). There's a little space there by the hull/deck joint (also good for running wiring if you ever need to do that).

From there, you can probably trace the leak and determine whether it's from the jib-track bolts or the hull/deck joint (if you still can't tell, draw a chalk line on the hull, spray the boat with a hose, and see where the water runs the chalk).

And, of course the requisite link to @Maine Sail: Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape

He's the authority on all such things :)

Jun 7, 2022
Rain stopped so I got some pics. Thanks to everyone because I think I know what's leaking now. The rub rail is bent in a few places causing water to get in. Short term solution is some marine sealant which I'll order tonight. Long term solution is to take the rub rail off and rebed the (hopefully) screws with countersunk holes and butyl tape. Thanks!!

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Great detective work! Please post photos of the repairs when you make them. Welcome to the forums! :beer: