Removing A Cutlass Bearing & Prop

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
This winter I need to replace the cutlass bearing on my H-30 (1" shaft). I'd like to do this without dropping the rudder. I've found the set screws in the strut........

Does any one have experience using the STRUTPRO tool? Is it positive? And does anyone have any suggestions on where I could borrow or rent the tool (I live on Long Island , NY) rather than purchasing it for basically a 1 time use? I know a tool can be fabricated but I have limited metal working tools (no metal lathe to cut down a pipe) and this is basically a one time use so I'd rather not fabricate unless it easy out of minimally modified off the shelf parts.

Also any suggestions on removing the prop which hasn't been removed for at least 15 years? I tried a few years ago 2 jaw with a Harbor Freight gear puller and a little heat from a propane torch but the puller just shattered.......

All suggestions would be helpful.....

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 34 Annapolis
I was in the same situation this past spring. I know the cutlass had not been replaced in at least 12 years. I paid up for the Strutpro and within 30 minutes I had the old cutlass out and 15 minutes later had the new one in. I had tried jaw pullers (borrowed from Autozone) as well with no luck. The Strut-pro can also be used to remove the prop.

So the bottom line was the tool was expensive but worked great.

Tom

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hey Tom, rent yours out via the mail get your investment back. Maybe it will grow into a whole new business and you can retire to the islands.

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City
I bought and used the Strutpro. It worked great. As far as the prop,WD 40 overnight, 3 arm puller from Autozone N/C if you bring it back, propane torch, back the nut off but leave it on, heat the prop not the shaft tighten the puller, smack the nut and the prop popped off. Whole job not counting the overnight WD40 soak 40min.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
If anyone who invested in a strut pro [and perhaps other expensive tools that are used once every decade] were interested, any chance the store would be willing to undertake to rent out these tools and share the fee with the owner. The tools would be "deposited" with the store. Collecting deposits and retraining and distributing the rental charges would be handled there. Would be a great service all round.

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City
I thought about renting mine but you would have to hold the whole amount of the tool and then refund all but the rental fee big headache.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
It's a heavy tool too. Round trip freight would likely be a minimum of $50. Plus it is possible to mess up the tool if not operated precisely.

Mine is likely staying on the shelf in the box I built for it.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
How about

I had the Marina I was staying out at Greenport pull off the prop for me
when I was changing my prop back in 2008.
Here in Florida there is a guy who will come and with his tool remove the prop
for about $100,maybe if you ask around you can find some one who does it in your area or ask around some Marina's for help finding some one who does this or rents.
Nick

Sep 23, 2009
For me at 350 bucks it would be the most expensive hand tool I ever purchased. My strategy would be to sell it on ebay. Otherwise it would just take up space till my heirs threw it out with all the other stuff they will not recognize. Can always buy another.

Aug 30, 2015
Ranger 28 Halifax
Just did mine used part of my clutch alignment tool and a piece of threaded rod nuts and washers plus a pipe nipple. Not hard if you have some junk around just a little thinking outside the box.. Have fun and good luck.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I should have searched this forum some more before I posted my new thread Cutlass bearing replacement?.

Does anyone have a Strut Pro or other similar tool that I could borrow/rent for a week? I am extremely careful with tools, and would return it in perfect working order. Need to remove 1" X 1-1/4" X 4" bearing.

Conversely, has anyone found anywhere online or offline where this tool can be rented? I spent the afternoon googleing, and found nothing.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Sep 23, 2009
Hi Al, thanks for the great idea and the pictures.
Not sure about what the first picture shows. It looks like the new bearing held straight with a hose clamp has some silver paint on the end and also the old bearing is already out?
Was the old bearing hard to move up away from the strut so it could be cut off?
With a plug on one end could you also use the setup to remove the prop?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to use your system correctly.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
After I had removed the prop (it's a AutoStream feathering wheel) my marina used their hydraulic tool to remove the old bearing and to install the new bearing that I gave them. The labor charge was 2 hours - $180. My prop came off easily with a bit of PB Blaster and a few taps with a hammer and a block of hardwood.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i have major concerns about hammering or banging on a prop that is mounted on the shaft and coupled to the transmission...one could cause some very expensive damage to the gearbox doing that

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our local marine supply store loans such tools for free. Once I needed a puller for a folding prop that they didn't have a tool for. I built one (only needed to use it once) and when I was finished the store was happy to keep it for the next guy. It was just scrap metal to me. You might go ask them.

Ken