Cutlass bearing replacement?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have needed to replace the cutlass bearing on my 1983 H31 for a while. I was originally thinking of doing it in the water, and started a thread about it a while back. Replace cutlass bearing in the water?
After I was talked down from that crazy idea I decided to wait until the next time I hauled out. It looks like we are going to haul out over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. so now it is time.

I have researched, and the bearing is 1" X 1-1/4" x 4". It seems I can use the Johnson Duramax Naval Brass Sleeve Bearing in the BACK Model, or a Johnson Duramax Non Metallic Sleeve Bearing in the BABE Model. SBO Store sells the Back for my boat. I spoke with Duramax technical support, and they claim either should work equally well in my installation.

I am planning to do this without pulling the shaft.

1. What are your recommendation regarding metallic vs non Metalic?
  2. Are there any tips you can give me on doing this job?
  3. Does anyone happen to have a Strut Pro tool or anything similar, that I could borrow/rent for a week?
  4. While I have it off, is there anything you would suggest doing to my prop? (polishing/painting/etc.)
  5. When I'm done, I plan on doing a realignment on the shaft coupling. Any hits or tips on this would also be greatly appreciated.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
So I ordered a Johnson Duramax Non Metallic Sleeve Bearing in the BABE Model. It should be here next week.

However I still have not found a strut tool to remove and replace the bearing that I can afford. For the cost of a new tool, I could pay someone to do this, and It is just not in my budget.

I found another thread dealing with this same issue Removing A Cutlass Bearing & Prop, and have asked there as well.

Does anyone have a Strut Pro or other similar tool that I could borrow/rent for a week? I am extremely careful with tools, and would return it in perfect working order. Need to remove 1" X 1-1/4" X 4" bearing.

Conversely, has anyone found anywhere online or offline where this tool can be rented? I spent the afternoon googleing, and found nothing.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.