Remove and re-bed skylights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis Saint John
Hello out there

Will be closing soon on a 1994 Beneteau Oceanis 40. Decent shape but some work required. There are two skylights one above the Nav table and the other above the Galley table. Both are showing signs leaking. Does anyone have advise on how to remove these windows.

Thanks

Attachments

rdees

Oct 5, 2011
Beneteau 400 Jacksonville
Hello out there

Will be closing soon on a 1994 Beneteau Oceanis 40. Decent shape but some work required. There are two skylights one above the Nav table and the other above the Galley table. Both are showing signs leaking. Does anyone have advise on how to remove these windows.

Thanks
I have a 1993 400. Those skylights are nice to have, but I generally avoid walking on them because I don't want to get them leaking. It seems like removing them could be a fairly involved process and potentially create additional problems. I would suggest recaulking around the skylights on the cabin top to see if that fixes the problem. It should be pretty easy to locate the source of any leak around those skylights.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I would suggest recaulking around the skylights on the cabin top to see if that fixes the problem.
Uhm, I wouldn't do that. Why? Caulking OUTSIDE usually doesn't work, one needs to get to the source of the issue, which is between the INSIDE of the glazing and the support below. Figure out how it's built, remove it and do it right.

Sep 24, 2010
Beneteau 321 Edgewater, MD
I am doing this exact project on a 321 when the weather warms above 50. There was a thread on this that I read a while ago. I'd find it for you but I am on my phone.

Looking forward to your report when you decide to do it.

Jan 17, 2013
I have a 1993 400. Those skylights are nice to have, but I generally avoid walking on them because I don't want to get them leaking. It seems like removing them could be a fairly involved process and potentially create additional problems. I would suggest recaulking around the skylights on the cabin top to see if that fixes the problem. It should be pretty easy to locate the source of any leak around those skylights.
Thanks, I thought about this option But I want to make sure I get the leaks and fix it for good. All the best

Jan 17, 2013
Thanks, I think the permanent fix is the way to go. Just looking for advise before I tackle the job.

All the best

Oct 28, 2008
Beneteau 321 NSSC (Michigan)
I have the same problem with my 321, had it fixed by a professional at a yard that used to sell Beneteaus. They used the recommended caulk from Beneteau. Two years later it leaks again. Good luck.

Sep 24, 2010
Thanks, I think the permanent fix is the way to go. Just looking for advise before I tackle the job.

All the best
This is the method I plan to use. With the exception that I am going to remove them from the boat and send them to Select Plastics to be replaced so new, un-glazed windows go back in.

I have repaired both my fixed ports on my B352. You need to remove the plexiglass, and scrap and sand (lightly) off all the old adhesive, of the frame and the glass. Get two tubes of Dow 957 (black) and the primer - you'll require one tube of 957 per window. Mask all around the frame (inside and out) and the window. Now the tricky part. Insert some small lifters (1/8") and float the glass on the 957 (the whole tube), push down on the glass, squeezing out the excess 957 - down to the lifters. Now remove/clean away excess and get a smooth bead around the frame/window gap. Do the same on the inside. Carefully remove the masking tape right away (fix the bead, if necessary). Put a little weight on the window and leave it alone for a few days. I think it is easier if the weather is cool, as it gives you more time to work the 957 - also you'll need about six hands to control the mess. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

FScott

Jan 14, 2012
Beneteau 393 Severna Park
Go For It's original post requests info on how to remove the skylight for rebedding. I have the same problem on my '08 B393 skylights. My dealer has twice recalked with it leaking by 2 years after having it done, costing hundreds of $ each time. They remove and replace the old calk but do not remove the skylight (A huge panel of plexi spanning the widthe of the coachroof). Friends have advised me that it needs to be removed, cleaned and rebedded. How do I remove the panel?

ceseal

Nov 20, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Perdido Bay
The same folks that rebed windshields is your best bet. My partner and I rebeded our skylights several times without success. Go with the pros! Modest cost but great savings of your time and much more likely to be successful.

Jan 17, 2013
This is the method I plan to use. With the exception that I am going to remove them from the boat and send them to Select Plastics to be replaced so new, un-glazed windows go back in.
How did you remove the windows. Were they screwed or just caulked. Dod you have to pry - risking breaking the glazing?

Sep 24, 2010
How did you remove the windows. Were they screwed or just caulked. Dod you have to pry - risking breaking the glazing?
I haven't made it that far just yet.

The skylights are not screwed in, just held in place by sealant. The side fixed port lights are held in by four screws, but I assume that they are mostly held in my sealant. The screw are more for alignment and to hold the window in place while the sealant is curing.

Status
Not open for further replies.