Remote controls for outboard motor

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
I've posted this in the motors/propulsion forum but am hoping that a C25 owner can add some input...
I'm planning to install remote engine controls to my 90 Cat 25. I've purchased the remote control kit from Tohatsu. 10 foot cables were recommended by another c25 owner on the Catalina25.org website but they just seem too long. He had used Morse controls and his post wasn't very clear as to how they were routed.
Has anyone here had any experience with this? Even if it's with another outboard brand, I'd appreciate your comments as to cable length and routing.
Thanx,
Tom G

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I had an Evinrude 9.8 which is basically a Tohatsu on my previous O'Day 27. It had the electric tilt but it came without the remote shift which I added by drilling a hole through the transom off center toward the starboard side and the cables were run through the lazarette on that side. It wasn't easy. Wiring up the remote shifter was the most difficult and I suggest you use one that matches your engine. A morse or other brand may not work with all functionality.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have a Yamaha 9.9 on my Lancer. The controller is on a pedestal. The cables are 13 ft for both throttle and shift. One cable went bad and I replaced it with a Yamaha OEM 11 ft. It is very tight and I had to make idle adjustments because the cable appears to be too short. I need to replace it with the 13. There are universal cables on Ebay that might work for you if you need new cables. Not sure what a "morse" is. Never heard of it.

Anyway, the cables go down the pedestal, route over to the port side in the lazarette, then out the back of the transom to the motor. For me, 13 ft seems to the be the correct length.