Remember the Sun Screen

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Yesterday I had he remnants of a 4mm Melanoma in Situ removed from my right calf. I must admit that I wasn't applying the sun screen as often as one should before going out sailing, especially when we were racing. It was odd that it was on my leg and not on my overly burned nose and cheeks but, that's where it decided to form. I have a nice hat on the way and will be vigilant with the application and reapplication of SPF 50+ sun screen and will also be getting some more SPF 50 shirts. I was lucky in that I noticed it quickly and got it removed within 4 weeks, it never got passed the dermis so no contact with any blood vessels and it then stayed put. I have a 3.5" incision stitched up on my right leg now, and when I peeked I saw the 3" x 1" chunk I could hear my oncologist surgeon, something one never is fully prepared to say, cutting out of me. Was an interesting experience.

Wear the sun screen, don't give a crap about the hair and wear the hat. I am now 7x more likely to have this happen again. Be sun smart.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great reminder for us all.
I have had plenty of spots (precancerous) removed each year by my Dermatologist. We are on a first name bases. Oh the results of a misspent youth out on the water and playing at the beach, when it was popular to "Break out the Cocoa Butter".

I found the "Harken" brand of sunscreen, samples being handed out at the Annapolis Boat Show. I picked up some, took it to my Doctor, and he gave me an enthusiastic two thumbs up after reading the ingredients. I am a fan of the stuff.

Happy you caught the growth early. Be safe.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I found the "Harken" brand of sunscreen, samples being handed out at the Annapolis Boat Show. I picked up some, took it to my Doctor, and he gave me an enthusiastic two thumbs up after reading the ingredients. I am a fan of the stuff.
Whew, $40 per 100ml (3.4 oz.).

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Indeed, beach, waterskiing, bicycling, motorcycling, and sailing. I am on 4/year sessions with multiple precancerous removals each session. So far only one 3” scar from carcinoma removal on right forearm. I am a Lot more careful about sunscreen now!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sorry to hear about your recent scare. I had a tumor in my thyroid that went undetected for ~10 years. They are slow growing cancers and another side effect was that my immune system got all jacked up. During those 10 years I was at the allergists twice a week for shots...etc because the symptoms (daily hive outbreaks) were misdiagnosed as allergies. And as my immune system started attacking rapidly dividing cells, I developed a rather advanced case of Vitiligo (albino spots). I also lost all of the hair on my arms and legs.... but I digress...

Anyway.... Since 2004 I have been an avid sunscreen user and I have discovered several important tricks for getting it to work very well.

I posted on this a little while back and here is the link.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My dermatologist has the Nitrogen touch warmed up and ready before each appointment due to the same reasons. One "Pre-Melanoma" on my back removed leaving a scalllop sized divot. I'm switching from Sunblock to clothing. I've got a stable of Performance shirts, a face shield (With our Central American landscapers wear) and lots of hats. Sunblock has virtually ruined the interior of my car.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Key is to get one with Mexoryl if you can; may not technically be approved by FDA. Sun block products are FDA regulated here which is completely nuts so US products are 30 years behind the European ones. We have used this one for 20+ years now; Never got burned where we put it; buy in Spain, France and Germany and bring it back. The US version of this stuff probably has no Mexoryl in it.

Attachments

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Avoid sun screens with Oxybenzone. It kills coral and acts as an endocrine disrupter in humans.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Almost 60 years in the tropics and I really thought I was immune to sun cancer. Then this donut shaped thing appeared on my shin and grew amazingly fast until it was about an inch in diameter and 3/8ths inch high. A couple of doctors dismissed it because of how fast it grew, as did the internet, one just plain didn't know, but the oncologist knew right away it was squamous cell carcinoma.
Boy, I was shocked. Why there, why now? Nobody could say. They just basically just cut it off with a couple of layers of skin, so no real scar. I really can not handle creams& lotions so I bought a few sets of light scrubs (tops & pants) and I'll see how they work when we get sailing again.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Almost 60 years in the tropics and I really thought I was immune to sun cancer. Then this donut shaped thing appeared on my shin and grew amazingly fast until it was about an inch in diameter and 3/8ths inch high. A couple of doctors dismissed it because of how fast it grew, as did the internet, one just plain didn't know, but the oncologist knew right away it was squamous cell carcinoma.
Boy, I was shocked. Why there, why now? Nobody could say. They just basically just cut it off with a couple of layers of skin, so no real scar. I really can not handle creams& lotions so I bought a few sets of light scrubs (tops & pants) and I'll see how they work when we get sailing again.
Same here, only I grew a “horn” out of my ear love. Carved out, determined it was squamous cell carcinoma. Had to go back in for a mohs (sp) procedure. Have a nice notch in my ear lobe. I now wear a brimmed hat and sunscreen on my ears, nose and face.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My dermatologist has the Nitrogen touch warmed up and ready before each appointment due to the same reasons. One "Pre-Melanoma" on my back removed leaving a scalllop sized divot. I'm switching from Sunblock to clothing. I've got a stable of Performance shirts, a face shield (With our Central American landscapers wear) and lots of hats. Sunblock has virtually ruined the interior of my car.
As someone who has more scars than he can remember from having things removed from his face, neck and back, please take this advice, Do NOT ever let a Dermatologist near you with a scalpel, go to a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeons know how to cut and sew and leave little evidence. My PS frequently reminds me that a dermatologist in the past did me wrong and left a big scar on the side of my nose.

Sunscreen protects you from future problems, however the positive benefits are not seen for 20 or more years.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for that advice. I agree plastic surgeons know how to hide scars. My wife took a chin cut on the pickle ball court and I begged her to go to a PS. But no, she went to the local Emergency Clinic. The doc did a pretty good job. But most ER docs aren't that concerned with cosmetics and don't get paid to make it look nice. Closures that won't come back failed are what they want. Not artwork, which is what Plastic surgery is.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Almost 6 years ago I had a lesion removed from my upper arm. It presented as a pea sized lump, no pigmentation. Diagnosis: melanoma. Had lots of treatment over a 6 month period of time. Doc, surgical resident, and surgeon's preop clinical impression was a dermal cyst...wrong! So, moral of the story is if something pops up whether it is a scaly patch, suspicious looking mole that has become enlarged, red spot, white spot, lump, nodule, etc. get it checked out. And dont buy into "lets keep an eye on it", NO ONE knows what it is until it is confirmed with a biopsy. I dont care if it a GP, dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or oncology surgeon checks it; insist on a biopsy. Have done very well over 5 years now. Very careful with sunproof clothing, long pants & sleeves, wide brimmed hats (not caps) and sunscreen. Pick best times of day to be outside to avoid excess exposure. I think back to my younger days of tanning on the beach, fishing & sailing w/o a shirt, sunburns, etc......I was an ass. Cant turn back the clock; So, be careful out there.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Last fall I had a lesion on my face. It was suspicious, it was the first week of school and the Doc had lots of cancellations, so we hopped into the surgery room and out it came. Turned out to be a squamous cell carcinoma. These are between melanoma and basal cell in terms of seriousness. Didn't bother with the pre-op biopsy given my history. Good call.

In December I had another lesion growing. Visited the PA and we decided to go with removal without the extra expense and needles of a biopsy. Turned out to be a benign cyst when the post op biopsy came back.

I see my PA twice a year and have an enduring relationship with liquid nitrogen bottle.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Key is to get one with Mexoryl if you can; may not technically be approved by FDA. Sun block products are FDA regulated here which is completely nuts so US products are 30 years behind the European ones. We have used this one for 20+ years now; Never got burned where we put it; buy in Spain, France and Germany and bring it back. The US version of this stuff probably has no Mexoryl in it.
About 21 Euros for a huge 300 ml tube as shown in photo. Not sure about shipping. Amazon.de. Note the info on the Mexoryl. Not a salesman for them, it's just what works.

Feb 11, 2017
My dermatologist recommended Blue Lizzard sunscreen after finding melanoma in 2 spots. Since using this sunscreen, no further issues. I now also wear a wide Tilly hat . Also just started wearing Patagonia long sleeve spf 50 Daily Cool shirts - very comfortable even when swimming and it is nice to cut down on using so much sun screen

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I do a lot of those things. But really the horse left the barn 25, 30 years ago. We're just doing "Cleanup in aisle six."
I would like to know if anyone is making "Performance fabric" slacks or leg coverings. I would look silly in something like that and people might stare, but in a few years they'll be wearing them too. Less sunblock is good.