Refrigerator drain issue

Jun 9, 2014
Catalina 310 Cranston, RI
I have a refrigerator that doesn't drain on my 2004 310. At first I looked for a Y valve and there isn't one. I've gently tried inserting a probe into the drain with no luck Is there something else I can use to resolve this?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If the fridge drains into a sump (which it should instead going into the bilge), the sump may be full. That can be due to a failed float switch (or there may not be one), failed sump pump--or off at the breaker--or a blockage in the sump thru-hull (another place where dirt daubers love to build their mud nests). Or it could be as simple as, something in the fridge got into the drain and is blocking it. So step 1: find out where the drain line goes (if there is a drain line). If it's blocked, a couple of oz of Raritan C.P. in it when it can stand at least overnight should open it up.
--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Why in the world would you tie something as simple as an icebox drain to a sump into the toilet flush water inlet plumbing?? Or into the toilet plumbing at all???? Rube Goldberg (look him up if you're too young to know who he was) would have loved you!
--Peggie

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Why in the world would you tie something as simple as an icebox drain to a sump into the toilet flush water inlet plumbing?? Or into the toilet plumbing at all???? Rube Goldberg (look him up if you're too young to know who he was) would have loved you!
--Peggie
The stock plumbing for the C310 uses a Y for the shower sump and reefer drain (no sump for the reefer-it's a direct connection). That normally goes to a dedicated thru hull. I'm pretty sure PaulJ made the modification teeing the sump outlet with the head inlet himself. It does eliminate a thru hull.

Spellman66: the Y valve should be on the right side under the galley sink. The filter and pump are also there.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Spellman66: the Y valve should be on the right side under the galley sink. The filter and pump are also there.
This was the setup on early models. Later models put the pump and the Y-valve under the head sink. So look for where the Y-valve is located. You will need to turn the Y-valve to the proper side, open the through-hull and then push the shower sump button above the head.

Good luck and fair winds.

Jesse

Nov 16, 2012
This was the setup on early models. Later models put the pump and the Y-valve under the head sink. So look for where the Y-valve is located. You will need to turn the Y-valve to the proper side, open the through-hull and then push the shower sump button above the head.

Good luck and fair winds.

Jesse
Catalina keeps us on our toes. That also explains why somebody else had room to put his battery charger under the galley sink-right where my pump, filter, and y-valve are mounted.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Picture shows the Y valve on the right. Looking forward, from aft, rotate valve fully clockwise. That puts it in the reefer drain position.
Open the head inlet water seacock (picture #2, looking aft, valve on right). The water exits through that seacock. Turn on the shower sump switch on the main power panel. Push the shower rocker switch above the head. It can take several seconds for the pump suction to pull the reefer water through the lines into the pump. You will hear an audible change in the sound of the pump.
Head Valves.JPG

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Picture shows the Y valve on the right. Looking forward, from aft, rotate valve fully clockwise. That puts it in the reefer drain position.
Open the head inlet water seacock (picture #2, looking aft, valve on right). The water exits through that seacock. Turn on the shower sump switch on the main power panel. Push the shower rocker switch above the head. It can take several seconds for the pump suction to pull the reefer water through the lines into the pump. You will hear an audible change in the sound of the pump. View attachment 156775

Seems you also have the same RUBE GOLDBERG design as I.

paulj
:hook2:

Nov 16, 2012
Seems you also have the same RUBE GOLDBERG design as I.

paulj
:hook2:
Interesting. I was wrong about you making that change, must have been Catalina. Maybe they moved it from the galley to the head so shower was the shorter section of tubing, instead of the reefer? So you’ve only got one thru hull under the galley sink?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Interesting. I was wrong about you making that change, must have been Catalina. Maybe they moved it from the galley to the head so shower was the shorter section of tubing, instead of the reefer? So you’ve only got one thru hull under the galley sink?
One through hull under the galley sink is correct.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
I have a 2003 and the set up is identical to paulj. I found it great for winterizing. Just pour in the polyglycol into the bottom of the fridge and turn the valve to the setting in the photo. Then turn on the shower sump pump and it drains the entire system through to the head. WINTERIZED !
PS.Don't for get to clean the filter just above the Valve.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Attachments

Sep 6, 2018
catalina 310 285 waikawa NZ
thanks for that I was wondering what that y valve was for just bought a 310 2004 in waikawa new zealand