Reefing tackle and other running rigging questions for 26S (C)

Nov 8, 2014
MacGregor 26S Chateauguay
good morning fellow sailors! Yesterday we finally managed to put Egret in the water and enjoyed a wonderful day sailing on lake St. Louis near Montreal. The wind was a little funny ranging from 15 to 24 kts so, being rather new at sailing and needing the practice we decided to try reefing. Needless to say, after a few struggles, the mainsail looked like a halibut wrapped in newspaper by a drunken fishmonger. Hence our decision to build a proper furling rig and, to help it a long, run the main halyard to the port winch so that we can tighten up the luff without. Optionally, I could use the Cunningham if it simplifies things... Any suggestions, ideas? Could you please publish some drawings or pictures? I have found lots of material but with the funny configuration of the poptop I would like to see some MacGregor solutions.
Thanks and happy sailing season :)

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
When it comes time to reef and/or tighten the luff you'll want a system that is quick and easy. I prefer to tighten the luff with a cunningham rather than using the halyard. With a cunningham it's easy to install a 2:1 or even a 4:1 purchase thus eliminating the need to use the winch. I also use a 4:1 purchase on the reef cringle for the same purpose.

Nov 8, 2014
MacGregor 26S Chateauguay
Thanks guys for the clear explanation, sorry for the delay but I was off line for a while due to high workload.
I think I will follow Bud's advice and use the Cunningham on the reef cringle instead of routing the sheet to the winch. For the clew I have a small cheek block that I can install instead of using th existing cleats. If I mount it aft of the first cleat it will also act as a pretty good out haul for both reefing lines. Thanks again
Bill

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Good luck Bill. Practice a few times in light, or even still, air in the slip or even on the trailer. Then be sure to let us know how it works out.