Reefing Line Size(s)

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
A quick question as I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day sales online. As I have posted previously, at some point a lot of the running rigging on our 1984 Hunter 34 were cut and removed by a previous owner. My question this morning is: What diameter lines and lengths are folks using for the jiffy reefing systems on your mains? And I know some of us like to run lines back to the cockpit, while others do some of the work at the mast.

Thanks for the help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stuart. I like the 3/8's diameter. Less weight up in the air. I use something like sta-set. Double Braided dacron/polyester.

Length is 2 times the mast height, plus the length from the mast base to the stern of the boat (if running to the cockpit). This yields a good length and a little extra (maybe 5-10 feet) which I cut off and use for fenders (On most boats the fender lines are nasty). Note that the 2 time the mast height is generous, a rough number, takes into consideration that you are going up about half the length of the mast and going out the length of the of the boom. You can shorten that a bit if too much line to half the height of the mast and 1.5 times the length of the boom.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
3/8 or 5/16.. It has to be big enough to feel good in your hands.. I have 3/8" Mine are led back to the cockpit, but I have to go to the mast to hook the reefing tack . The reefing lines are the two vertical lines going down to the deck blocks then to the organizers then aft under the cover to a cleat next to the clutches..
P1000700.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
but I have to go to the mast to hook the reefing tack .
So do I.
I figured since I need to go there for the hook, might as well do all the work in one place at one time. Reefing lines are at the mast. So is the halyard. It is nice not having to go back and forth if the main halyard gets stuck in a clutch when I need a little slack.