Redundant speed or depth

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
You can in fact shoot through the hull with the RAYMARINE CHIRP Downvision sonar...
A fiberglass hill, yes. Steel hull, not so much!

I like the "as far forward as I can get" approach. I'd like to know about a coral head directly under the bow as I creep along, Before it encounters the keel.

I, too, am all for the redundant depth sensors. Having that available if the othe goes out is far more valuable that redundant speed. On the otherhand, I did without both for many years, but only in very familiar waters...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You have given me an idea. I have 2 PITA type thru hulls. One for hull speed and the other for Depth/Temp.
I may buy the combo for 1 and free up the other for CHIRP. I was waiting till I had to put my boat on the hard.
Thanks!
Guess what happened today, no bull! Two Raymarine Techs showed up at my boat to investigate why I was getting a "Radar" error and a system RESET.

They looked at my Depth/Temp Transducer and found it was the right size hole and the right spot for a CHIRP!:dancing:
They checked out my total Raymarine package and now suspect the "converter box" for SeaTalk(old) to SeaTalk (ng) is probably the false Radar error and Reset problem.

Psssttt they wish Raymarine would switch to NMEA 2000.:eek: The reason was NOT the protocol, but wire colors standards.:)

The installation of the CHIRP sonar and any new transducer must have the new cable for SeaTalk(ng) direct to the backbone.

Interesting enough, they loaded the most updated Software for my MFD (I had already done that;)) and downloaded the error message file which is not visible on the MFD. So I await their analysis.
Jim...

PS: I learned a bunch on how all this works!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You have given me an idea. I have 2 PITA type thru hulls. One for hull speed and the other for Depth/Temp.
I may buy the combo for 1 and free up the other for CHIRP. I was waiting till I had to put my boat on the hard.
NOPE!
The Raymarine dealer just told me that CHIRP transducer would fit the 2" hole but not the existing mount.:confused:

I could use the same HOLE size as the old Depth/Temp, but not the same thru hull mount.:angry:

On the hard, I would have to "knock out" the old and put in the new ferrule/mount for CHIRP.
Raymarine does not have a universal Transducer mount:badbad:.

I wonder if anyone makes a Universal Coupler/Bushing/Adapter for Raymarine transducers?
Jim...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I changed my one transducer for speed and one depth transducer to one for sonar for my C-80 and one for
speed, depth,temp and so now have 2 gauges for depth in case one acts up.
The newer transducer were different size than my 2007 ones were and needed to make holes tiny bit bigger.
Nick