Red Right Returning Especially All The Others

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Good point, Smokey - that OSSLO thing is just a handy mnemonic for the basics. I always stay well clear of larger craft on the Chesapeake, examples being subs, warships, container vessels, tugs with barges, etc. Anyone who can really damage me gets right of way in my book, even say large motor yachts.

Reminds me of a joke:
Captain of battleship on radio: Vessel ahead, give way.
Vessel: I can't, recommend you change course.
Cap: This is a US warship, you must give way.
Vessel: Sorry but I can't, suggest you change course.
Cap: This is your last warning, I am a battleship, change course immediately, I will not.
Vessel: Suit yourself, Captain, I cannot. This is a lighthouse.

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
OSSLO for who has right-of-way; these are the stand-on vessel in order:

Overtaken (vs the overtaking boat, even if the overtaking boat is sail)
Sail (over power)
Starboard tack (over port tack)
Leeward (over windward)
Oh-oh (aka "uh-oh", for "get out of the way if there is danger, no matter what")

Also, since the preferred passing approach is port-to-port, it is helpful to remember that the sailing vessel on port tack can come off to pass port-to-port with a vessel on stbd tack, where the stbd tack boat would have to come upwind to do so - and coming off is preferred over coming up.
The port to port preference applies to powerboats meeting head on (COLREGS Rule 14), for sailing vessels on different tacks, vessel on port tack gives way, if on same tack vessel to windward gives way (COLREGS Rule 12). So a vessel on a starboard tack is within the rules if it wants to pass a vessel on port tack starboard to starboard when not in a narrow channel.

The rule is different in a narrow channel, sailing vessels aren't allowed to impede any vessel who must remain in the channel (so a shallow draft sailboat on a starboard tack may have to give way to a deep draft sailboat on port tack), all vessels are supposed keep the edge of the channel close to their starboard side. Any vessel overtaking must give way to the overtaken vessel, even if the overtaking vessel is under sail. (COLREGS Rule 9)

If your are motorsailing...you are a powerboat.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Figuring course headings.

Going from Compuss to Ture: Can Dead Men Vote Twice

Going from True to Compuss: Ture Virgins Make Dull Companions

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Figuring course headings.

Going from Compuss to Ture: Can Dead Men Vote Twice

Going from True to Compuss: Ture Virgins Make Dull Companions
...so with timid virgins; Add Whisky....add west variation and Subtract Ethics...subtract east variation.
(those who don't like scotch can put the "e" back in and send
me all their single malt)