Red Right Returning Especially All The Others

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 1989 Lake Hefner, OKC
Dear Long Time Sailors and Cruisers,

Most all know: "Red right returning." Some may say: "Red left port."

What are some of the other memory joggers?

Is there a memory jogger to help remember Cans & Nuns, their color, and whether they are even or odd? I know one exists; I completely forgot it and would love it if one of you know it and would share it!

Steve

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Green to Green and Red to Red but never in between.

True is less when West

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Old navy saying on nuns and cans

Dear Long Time Sailors and Cruisers,

Most all know: "Red right returning." Some may say: "Red left port."

What are some of the other memory joggers?

Is there a memory jogger to help remember Cans & Nuns, their color, and whether they are even or odd? I know one exists; I completely forgot it and would love it if one of you know it and would share it!

Steve

"Even Red nuns have odd black cans"

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Steve .. Laughing.. I don't remember that in my "Bluejacket Manual" .. uuhhh it may have been penciled into the margin !

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Those cans of green beans are odd. Red-Right-Return-Ring (bell buoy, the green ones have gongs).

True Virgins Make Dull Company Add Whiskey = Compass corrections: True Variance (earth) Magnetic Deviation (boat) Compass add westerly.

Red over Red, lost his head (vessel not under command).

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
up in the puffs and off in the lufts. Meaning turn into the direction of the wind in a gust and turn away when in the lulls.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
when in doubt, let it you. meaning more anchor rode is almost always a good idea

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 1989 Lake Hefner, OKC
Thanks for all the responses! I'll be using some of them in the piloting class I'm teaching. Several I have not heard before, and the one I am trying to recall I did not hear . . . gess, there must be a million of 'um!!!

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

this one is not about navigation, but I use to teach this one for knot tyeing to my boy scouts...

it is used for the bowline knot..... make the loop then take the end.... the end is the rabbit, the main rope is the tree... the rabbit come up out of his hole, looks around the tree, sees danger, circles the tree, then dives back down his hole for safety... now pull it tight...

sincerely
Jess

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
you will never see a nun 69 (nuns are even numbered) even when the red port (wine) was left for the nun...

red right returning, red left leaving....

even red left port...

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
"Even Red nuns have odd black cans"
I'd forgotten this one until just now: Even red nuns drink beer from odd green cans.

This is how I remember which tack has the right-of-way: We know that Sail has the r-o-w over Power. S/P also is true in Starboard over Port.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
OSSLO for who has right-of-way; these are the stand-on vessel in order:

Overtaken (vs the overtaking boat, even if the overtaking boat is sail)
Sail (over power)
Starboard tack (over port tack)
Leeward (over windward)
Oh-oh (aka "uh-oh", for "get out of the way if there is danger, no matter what")

Also, since the preferred passing approach is port-to-port, it is helpful to remember that the sailing vessel on port tack can come off to pass port-to-port with a vessel on stbd tack, where the stbd tack boat would have to come upwind to do so - and coming off is preferred over coming up.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Hey Isaksp00,

The uh-oh reminds me that defensive driving matters even on the water. Way back when I was in an Intermediate Sailing class the other student (1 instructor, 2 students on the boat) froze at the tiller in a crossing situation and the other vessel tacked away while offering some interesting pointers on the rules of the road.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Okay but missing a key point

OSSLO for who has right-of-way; these are the stand-on vessel in order:

Overtaken (vs the overtaking boat, even if the overtaking boat is sail)
Sail (over power)
Starboard tack (over port tack)
Leeward (over windward)
Oh-oh (aka "uh-oh", for "get out of the way if there is danger, no matter what")

Also, since the preferred passing approach is port-to-port, it is helpful to remember that the sailing vessel on port tack can come off to pass port-to-port with a vessel on stbd tack, where the stbd tack boat would have to come upwind to do so - and coming off is preferred over coming up.
This is very handy but its missing one key point. A large deep draft vessel in restricted waters is ALWAYS the stand on vessel with the sail or power boat as the "give way" vessel. As a former Officer of the Deck for a Submarine coming in or out of port I was amazed at the idiots that thought they had the right of way when we we were 425ft LOA, drew 30+ft in a 35ft deep channel that was about 300 feet wide. Exactly where would we give way to? Besides, HY80 steel can do a real trick on fiberglass, steel or about any other normal small boat hull. I always knew the good sailors who would make a definitive course change to let me know they were giving way. Sometimes they would then come back on course passing behind us fairly close but I knew not to worry about them. It was the ones that attempted to cross in front of us close aboard who "thought they were stand on vessels" and sometimes would even "scold me" :cussing: because they "had the right of way." IDIOTS. :naughty:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
This is very handy but its missing one key point. A large deep draft vessel in restricted waters is ALWAYS the stand on vessel with the sail or power boat as the "give way" vessel.

I always knew the good sailors who would make a definitive course change to let me know they were giving way.
any "GOOD" sailor will almost always see an issue developing early and make a correction to avoid any conflicts, and do it happily (unless racing)....
its almost always the operators that feel they have the right of way, dont have good seamanship skills, yet they want to be noticed as someone who thinks they know the rules of the road, and so they are belligerent about their rights. and they are the loudest and most verbal about it when passing.

honest mistakes can be made by anyone at anytime, and its usually acknowledged with an apology... except when the offended party is loudly practicing their "lubberly a55h0le skills", then its just hard feeings all the way around.... nothing good comes from it.