Recommendations, or lack of, for water tank inspection ports.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Gonna install a couple inspection/clean out ports on my water tank cover. Looking specifically at those available at Defender. (good folks)

Obviously not using the snap in type.

I want to use something that screws down and has good sealing o-rings. Are there any particular brands to avoid, or any particular brands what work especially well.

I am thinking of about a 6 inch opening, and due to baffles in the tank, I need two ports.

Thanks

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Wow, 40 people looked at this and not a one offered a simple response.
Guess anchor threads here are probably dead too. :(

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Genec, Sorry your query did not get a response... I just read it and I have no clue as to help answer the request.
Perhaps a picture of your problem/solution, a bit more rational of the solution, why it is a problem... may evoke a response. Perhaps your challenge has not been faced by others on this forum.
At least you had folks interested enough to look at the issue. Even if there was no response.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
My question is why do you need to access the tank?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
To clean it, inspect it. Do you not have any access to the inside of your water tank?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Genec, Sorry your query did not get a response... I just read it and I have no clue as to help answer the request.
Perhaps a picture of your problem/solution, a bit more rational of the solution, why it is a problem... may evoke a response. Perhaps your challenge has not been faced by others on this forum.
At least you had folks interested enough to look at the issue. Even if there was no response.
Hmmm interesting. Perhaps I worded things poorly???
I am replacing the lid on my old water tank. It came with an inspection port. That port did not leak as far as I can tell. It had an o-ring and 3 threads. I would be fine with the same port again. But I cannot tell the brand.

I would like to put a new port into the tank lid I am making now. In fact I want two, as there is a baffle in the tank that prevents me from seeing the entire interior, if such a need arises.

This is what I am thinking of using: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290180|2290183&id=47488

This port brand and style looks quite similar to what was in the old cover.

I was just wondering if this fine group had any comments regarding this product or suggestions of other products or ideas for this application.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
To clean it, inspect it. Do you not have any access to the inside of your water tank?
None. But then, ours is relatively small, and semi translucent poly, and we gave up using it as potable years ago. So, no need for access. When the rv antifreeze stops coming out of the tap, it's clean :)

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Hey I just found some markings on the underside of the old cover... Beckson.

I'm good to go. Interesting, nothing on outside... and just small lettering on the inside. Caught that lettering in just the right light.

Blye

Feb 11, 2017
I have an inspection port on the top of my small (20 gallon) water tank. It's a screw type deal similar to the ports I installed myself for quick views of thru hulls and the same type seen on dinghies. I use it every year or two to get an arm in there with a clean dish cloth and give it a rub with bleach then flush with a hose. Can't remember who's the manufacturer and it may and add-on by the only previous owner. Will try to check for you genec.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Yep, Beckson. I installed a 6" screw in Beckson port on the water tanks of both our last Catalinas, will likely do the same on this Hunter if we keep it past this season.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Nope, none. And I don't have one on my groundwater well or pressure tank either. Not that it is a bad idea, just make sure it closes up securely. Boats heel.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boats heel.
And then Genec you have one of those mystery leaks putting water in your bilge.. And someone will tell you to taste it.. And you'll wonder should I or shouldn't I, it could contain poison...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
And someone will tell you to taste it.. And you'll wonder should I or shouldn't I, it could contain poison...
From girlfriends to mystery rum punch, there is SO much unheeded wisdom in that warning!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
For the cleanout/inspection port size, it would be good to have a 6" clear opening so the arm can get in there easier. When I went to install a cleanout port on the fuel tank, the 6" SeaBuilt (brand name) fuel tank cleanout had only a 4" opening so had to get an 8" model that had a 6" opening. It would depend on how close to the top of the tank the baffle is, if it is really close then one access port wouldn't work.

Another thought, could the cleanout port be located over the baffles so both sides could be accessed at once?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
For the cleanout/inspection port size, it would be good to have a 6" clear opening so the arm can get in there easier. When I went to install a cleanout port on the fuel tank, the 6" SeaBuilt (brand name) fuel tank cleanout had only a 4" opening so had to get an 8" model that had a 6" opening. It would depend on how close to the top of the tank the baffle is, if it is really close then one access port wouldn't work.

Another thought, could the cleanout port be located over the baffles so both sides could be accessed at once?
Nice idea, but the baffle is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide. It goes almost all the way across the tank, but there is a gap at one end. The baffle pretty much supports the tank top. (The top is also supported all the way around by a wide 1 inch lip of fiberglass.)

I did have one inspection port in the old tank top, I don't believe it ever leaked.

I will put in two Beckson ports in this new top... so I can access the tank on either side of the baffle. I found out for sure this is a Beckson port as I found the name in molded-in printing on the inside of the cover... just visible in the right light. Kinda funny, most companies proudly stamp their names right up front, in big bold lettering. This was small lettering on the inside.
Ah, where we be without a company logo somewhere?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
And then Genec you have one of those mystery leaks putting water in your bilge.. And someone will tell you to taste it.. And you'll wonder should I or shouldn't I, it could contain poison...
I have a very dry bilge. I figure out what leaks are, pretty darn quick.

I had a hose clamp fail on the fresh water system a couple of years ago... figured it out darn quick... as the only time any damp appeared, it was after I had the pressure water on for a day or two.

I have about a 1/8 inch of water in the bilge right now... I had the hatches open, in the rain, just the other day. Little water gets in... and makes it's way to the bilge right away.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Search for Beckson Cleanout Ports. They're available a lot of sizes, from a number of retailers...possibly even the online store here.
Good to see you're still hanging around.

Hey, this was a fresh water issue... what are you doing responding? :biggrin:

I guess technically, you do belong on this thread... after we met and talked, and I got your book, I have learned how to set my valves such that I flush with fresh water now. (indeed, keeps the head smelling fresh)

No, the systems are not cross connected in any way... I just fill the sink in the head with fresh water and then draw from that sink for flushing, vice drawing seawater from the sink drain valve. As I mentioned, keeps the head nice and fresh.

Take care Peggy.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Wow, 40 people looked at this and not a one offered a simple response.
Guess anchor threads here are probably dead too. :(
You never mentioned what material your tank (or cover) is made from.

My tanks are plastic, and would take something different than a fiberglass, or epoxy/wood cover.

Sounds like you have found the answer though.

I would like to add at least 1 port to each of my tanks, but the plastic is old, and I am afraid of cracking the plastic.

Greg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Hmmm interesting. Perhaps I worded things poorly???
I am replacing the lid on my old water tank. It came with an inspection port. That port did not leak as far as I can tell. It had an o-ring and 3 threads. I would be fine with the same port again. But I cannot tell the brand.

I would like to put a new port into the tank lid I am making now. In fact I want two, as there is a baffle in the tank that prevents me from seeing the entire interior, if such a need arises.

This is what I am thinking of using: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290180|2290183&id=47488

This port brand and style looks quite similar to what was in the old cover.

I was just wondering if this fine group had any comments regarding this product or suggestions of other products or ideas for this application.
We have one that looks like that except the screw in part is clear plastic. The problem is it needs a doubler inside the tank. As it is, it leaks if we completely fill the tank. The leak is between the tank and the ring portion of the assembly. Proper sealant could also be the problem.

Ken