Recommendation on Tablet to use for Navionics App?

Dec 8, 2020
Hunter 33 Gloucester Point, VA
So off the boat, it seems more accurate for sure. I need to do some more testing, but if I forget to “stop” my track and jump in the car, the speed measurement starts to record far more accurately. So couple additional things I have noticed:
1. Higher speeds (like the car) are more accurate. On the sailboat, going below 4kts say in light winds - it almost always stops recording.
2. The area I sail in is the mouth of the lower York river, south Chesapeake Bay. The area right outside the marina is a coast guard station and just up river is a naval station. I’m wondering if there is any type of disruption of signal given the sensitivity of these areas. Again though, my track is recorded, so it tells me my coordinates are updating and my watch and other speed apps work perfectly.
Well, I just took a brisk walk with it in my hand and it recorded speed (~3kts) perfectly for 1/4 of a mile. So…..there has to be something interfering with it on the boat. It is mounted right at the helm on the pedestal with the other gauges.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Well, I just took a brisk walk with it in my hand and it recorded speed (~3kts) perfectly for 1/4 of a mile. So…..there has to be something interfering with it on the boat. It is mounted right at the helm on the pedestal with the other gauges.
I have had Navionics in my iPhone cutout when I prop it on my navpod next to a plotter and near other electronics.

• Helpful
Dec 8, 2020
I have had Navionics in my iPhone cutout when I prop it on my navpod next to a plotter and near other electronics.
Actually my chart plotter died so I am using my iPad in its place - right on the navpod where it was mounted. I left the connection immediately behind it, but within the navpod. I’ll test away from all this potential interference on my next sail.

Dec 8, 2020
Well that was definitely it. Boating app is now recording kts appropriately as long as I keep it away from the navpod. Guess I’ll need to figure out a better location. Appreciate everyone’s feedback. :clap: